Le Cauchemar - native stereo 3D support

crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Le Cauchemar - native stereo 3D support

Post by crim3 »

I've been told to try this surreal horror game, le cauchemar, as it has native support for some stereo 3D solutions and z800 head tracking, but unfortunately, I don't have by far enough machine to run it (less than 1 fps!!!). You can find it here:

http://www.programmerart.org/

There are some youtube videos of in game action. The render is so photorealistic that seems impossible and thrills you in a weird manner. Those with a monster computer could try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU00-kQvMc
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wooooow... thanks for sharing this. I don't yet own an iz3d monitor but even in boring flat-o-vision this game is photorealistic. I mean these are the most realistic real time graphics I've ever seen, in some places my brain got fooled for several seconds into believing it was real. On my core 2 quad @ 2.4Ghz and nvidia 8600 runs ok in windowed mode but when I make the window full screen at 1280*1024 the game slows to sevral fps. maybe once I have successfully overclocked it then it'll run ok... Again thanks!
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

Gave it a brief try. There didn't appear to be native support for iZ3D, but the iZ3D drivers worked.

The user interface for the game is horrifically bad. Took me a while to figure out that for most config settings to take effect, you have to restart the game. Also, I ended up config'ing for a resolution of 1024x768 (or as close as I could get to this...their UI generates some pretty wacky resolution choices), and now when I start the game, it crashes. Can't find a config/ini file anywhere to manually edit, so uninstall is in order.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I copied the 'example.ini''s into the cusotm.ini...
It did some change, but I can recognize well, that the game is not finished.
The anaglyph ghosts a lot and it's SLOW!
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah this is probably a tech demo/early beta. however it showcases really astounding effects.
Mel

Post by Mel »

yuriythebest1 wrote:yeah this is probably a tech demo/early beta. however it showcases really astounding effects.
Astounding effects? Did you think so? For the brief period I was able to keep it running, the only thing that stood out in my mind was that everything was 'wet', and the reflectivity gave the illusion of greater realism. Take a towel to the whole scene, and I don't think you'd be left with anything too amazing. Just my 2p.
lnrrgb

Interesting

Post by lnrrgb »

Gonna take a beefy system to run it though. The native stereo looks interesting - lots of specs to play with. I don't need those dough boys in my dreams though.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Interesting

Post by yuriythebest »

lnrrgb wrote:Gonna take a beefy system to run it though. The native stereo looks interesting - lots of specs to play with. I don't need those dough boys in my dreams though.
after you get past the initial shock of seeing em and realise they're harmless it becomes fun. you wait for em all to catch up with you and lead em like an army.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi,

Thanks for trying the game! :D As you've seen, it's work in progress and still very rough (sorry!)

To configure settings, you can edit the 'Custom.txt' file in the 'Profiles' folder (see 'Default.txt' for available options).

Stereoscopic modes:
- Anaglyph - choice of filter colours for each eye, control over convergence and saturation. Used to have deghosting (I should try to resurrect that at some point).
- Philips WOWvx 3D Display - designed for the 42" model. All 3D parameters are configurable.
- Frame-sequential - compatible with eMagin 3DVisor if framerate is kept at/above 60fps. Right mouse button to swap eyes.

Head-tracking modes:
- NaturalPoint TrackIR/OptiTrack - compatible only with TrackClip PRO and configured for the TrackIR 4 camera by default. My implementation of the TrackIR support needs some improvement. 6 DOF, 2 styles (HMD/window), choice of camera orientations, graphical calibration mode.
- eMagin Z800 3DVisor - 3 DOF (yaw, pitch, roll)

As Mel says, the game doesn't have iZ3D support yet, but it's something I'm hoping to add.

If you have any difficulties with the game / questions / ideas, please feel free to email me!
Ideas for enemy designs are especially welcome - the dough boys are very much placeholder :wink:

Cheers, see ya later
phil
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

If you haven't got the horsepower to render in full-screen, try using a wide-screen res with no scaling (1280x1024 display can be run in 1280x960, which is true 4:3 resolution, and 1280x720, 720p or 1280x768, or 1280x800, or even use a "no scaling" option in your drivers to see native 1024x768 in full-screen, or you can have the drivers scale instead of the LCD screen for much improved graphics.)

If you can't understand French:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... en&ie=UTF8
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

It is simply beautiful, you have put all game developers to shame, I wish you could do some work on a Myst sequel ;).

If anyone has yet to turn on the "color grading" option in post-processing, it makes the game look at least 50% more realistic by my estimation 8).

I am simply stumped, it runs very fast, very smooth on an 8800GTS 320mb ($108 on ebay), and I can finally see a use for all of this graphics card power, all of the titles I have seen use it so badly I used to wish that HDR hadn't been invented (are they using HDR on the bump maps? because it looks like s#*t.)

On the subject of those with Dual Displays, can you have a mode with a left and right eye separate, one half of the screen for each? If you can mirror the right eye then you can view it on a Planar-style setup with passively polarized glasses. The driver can take care of all of the dual-display, you can put it into a "horizontal span" mode where it appears to be a single large monitor (2560x1024 in my case), and the left half is one monitor, right half another.

This is my rig: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/3DMonitor

Amazing work, keep it up :)

PS, the 8600 card is a basically useless card for serious gaming (sorry), due mostly to the very poor 128-bit wide memory bus width (which is accessed multiple times per pixel as shaders are calculated, grinding the darn thing to a halt, even though it had up to 3 times the raw processing power), so that any of the 7900 cards (notably the cheaper 7900GS for example) could easily beat it with their 256-bit memory bus, this was very unfortunate because at the time it was released the only card with any performance chops was the 8800GTS 320MB around the $300 mark and didn't get below $250 until a year later. Now of course with the new G92 core everwhere the G80 has dropped in price and can be had for US$100-$130 left and right on ebay :D, and it is still a monster of a card.

Just so you know, my processor is a $35 Conroe-L Core2 Celeron 430, @ 3.17Ghz ;), runs games just fine. This way I could spend the money on the video card 8). "Monster computers" don't have to be expensive if you know what you are buying, my main components probably cost less than $300 (I did buy a scythe infinity cooler for $45, and a 650i ASUS p5ne-sli motherboard for $85, but with the graphics and CPU only costing $143 total it was worth it :D)

As soon as the iZ3D drivers support Planar this will be a killer budget rig. (by the time they realized it was just a mirroring of one of the outputs it was too late for the 1.08 beta :? )

Now to get seriously off-topic (sorry), has anyone noticed that Tomshardware.com builds some of the crappiest "budget gamer" systems? They choose a AMD3850 card, "to save money", but then get the most expensive model :roll: , and then add a quad-core processor, hmmph. So the system is around $500 to $600, and then "if you spent $200 more" you could have the performance of the system that I build myself, stupid Tomshardware, they are really lousy in my book.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi phil! welcome to the board!

vadim asadov, CTO of iz3d said in various topics that with signed nda they give the sourcecode to implement in all the projects. (including yours.. :) ) so maybe it would be a good idea to contact him.. :)

you could try posting here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=47

cu
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi again,

nubie - Thanks for the comments and the info :D
It might also be helpful to know that the game lets you set the rendering resolution independently of the fullscreen/window res.
This is handy for keeping the speed up in anaglyph mode for example (although I've just noticed it messes up the rain effect).
Try adding one of these frameRT lines in Custom.txt:

Code: Select all

display
{
	frameRT:	[/2,/1] // halve the X res (draw half as many pixels)
	frameRT:	[/1,/2] // halve the Y res (draw half as many pixels)
	frameRT:	[256] // blocky!
}
sharky - Thanks, yes I saw one of those threads and got in touch straight away!
But, silly me, I was in such a hurry to get the document back to him that I faxed it without any covering note, so I think it has probably got lost.
I'll try posting it the old-fashioned way :wink:
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Isn't it great to make the rendered image smaller while using interlaced 3D - like zalman? It displays only half the resolution anyway, so why render the whole resolution for each frame?

I don't know, if that is a big deal, but cutting the resolution in halve should bring at least some fps back, which you loose in S-3D
ayqz1u0s

phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi again,

I've uploaded version 17 which fixes some glitches and adds three new stereoscopic modes:

- line-sequential (interlaced)
Set the 'frameRT' option to [/1, /2] when using this mode.

- split left-right
Set the 'frameRT' option to [/2, /1] when using this mode.

- split top-bottom

If you're on Windows XP or earlier, you can use the 'split' stereo modes in conjunction with dual-monitor 'span mode', to put a different eye on each monitor output.
I don't know if that's useful to anyone, but the option's there :)

I forgot to add an eye-swap option for these new stereo modes but that'll be in the next release.

See ya later,
phil
zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

Thanks for the update.

I found the menu much easier to navigate and understand now but it still doesnt cycle through individual numbers when selecting resolution / convergence or other number values in the menu. It didnt seem to make a difference though and you can always edit things directly into the config files. Still looking very nice, the lighting and rain effects put everything else Ive seen to shame.

although the interlaced stereo3d didnt seem to work pixel by pixel but rather in random lines. From what i can tell though it would have looked awesome especially with all the post processing working at the same time. Its a beautiful game that ill definately be keeping track of.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Phil, awesome job. I couldn't test in S-3D, but the graphics are still great even in 2D. That is seriously the most impressive rain shader I have ever seen. Something about it has a nice photoreal quality that you rarely get in games. Very nice shader work overall, good stuff.

Plus, I finally can run this at a decent speed. I tried to run the demo on my old computer when it first was released and I was getting less than 1FPS, it was a slideshow, and a slow one at that. Now on my new 8800GTS 512MB I am getting sick framerates, well over 60FPS it appears. I can't wait to try it out in 3D, but I am afraid of the evil marshmallow men!
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

phil wrote:Hi again,

I've uploaded version 17 which fixes some glitches and adds three new stereoscopic modes:

- line-sequential (interlaced)

- split left-right
Set the 'frameRT' option to [/2, /1] when using this mode.

- split top-bottom

If you're on Windows XP or earlier, you can use the 'split' stereo modes in conjunction with dual-monitor 'span mode', to put a different eye on each monitor output.
I don't know if that's useful to anyone, but the option's there :)

I forgot to add an eye-swap option for these new stereo modes but that'll be in the next release.

See ya later,
phil
Side by side would work nice in crosseyed. But either I had the wrong settings or the images are in wrong 'direction'. So the spwap function might be needed for crosseyed viewing.

But maybe those S-3D picture Viewers (made of plastic and optics) could make it 3D ;-)

Comment:
In 2D the game was nearly fluent, but got a serious FPS hit in 3D... but that might be my system :-)
It's complicated for me, since I don't speak any french, but at least I managed to get through the installation :D
ayqz1u0s

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

LukePC1 wrote:It's complicated for me, since I don't speak any french, but at least I managed to get through the installation :D
Theres a language option in the menu, I think its the second to last icon on the bottom of the in-game options screen.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Thanks again for trying the game, and for all the friendly feedback :D Fixing the menu is definitely on my to-do list.

zoomin - Thanks for letting me know about this glitch in interlaced mode. What graphics card are you using?
I've been testing on an ATi X1900 and an nVidia 8800 and they're both interlacing correctly. But I tried it on an nVidia Quadro today and got the same problem you described. Any information you could give me about your setup would be great.

LukePC1 - The language option is on the first pause menu (P/Esc), marked "Langue : français". And it finally works now 8)
I'll add a start option to launch the game in English. Maybe little flag icons on the in-game menu would be helpful too...
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

On my 8800GTS (320MB) interlaced doesn't work correctly either. Trying some more things...
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

phil wrote: LukePC1 - The language option is on the first pause menu (P/Esc), marked "Langue : français". And it finally works now 8)
I'll add a start option to launch the game in English. Maybe little flag icons on the in-game menu would be helpful too...
well it's also a slight problem while installing :D
The install guide has only one language, or did I only get the wrong file :?

I advise everyone just to hit the right buttons and it will be installed somehow ;-)
ayqz1u0s

zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

Sure.. im using:
8800gtx
E6600 @ 2.4ghz core 2 duo
2GB 667 DDR2
Windows Vista Ultimate & SP1
22' Zalmon Trimon 3D Monitor
Ive also got the 174.74 beta drivers and 174.76 stereo drivers I think.

Judging by how well my computer runs everything else though I never really expact anything to word so I take the 2d part of your game as a blessing. Thanks for your support
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi, thanks for your patience. I think I've fixed the interlace problem now.

There is a patch you can download here:
http://programmerart.org/interlace.fxo.msi NOTE: This is not a real MSI file - please don't try to run it.

Just save it as C:\Program Files\Le Cauchemar\Source\Master\Interlace.fxo (replace the existing file).

Thanks,
phil
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Thanks for the info there zoomin. I'll probably get back to you later with some questions about your monitor :)

This version of the patch should swap the eyes around if you need to, but I've not tested it:
http://programmerart.org/Interlace.fxo.swapEyes.msi
Same instructions as before.

It's :shock: way past my bedtime now, so I'll see ya later!
phil
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Since you have added interlaced support, any chance of adding checkerboard support for us DLP3D users?

thanks,
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

I ended up using the swapped eyes version and all I can say is wow... that was beautiful. Worked almost perfectly. I just had to adjust the interpupillary Distance... Which im guessing is some sort of convergence option or more likely the distance between my eyes? anyway its probably my fault for playing with the settings earlier that it was off at all.

I'd just like to say thanks for the quick support and excellent game. Ill be happy to answer any zalman questions you have :D
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Interlacing seems to work now, however things are really blocky (same without stereoscopy), something is quite wrong at this comp...
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

pixel67 - Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't realised there were screens that used that format.
I've now uploaded version 17.2 which adds two checkerboard stereoscopic modes.
I'm hoping the mode that will work with your monitor is 'checkerboard 1' (left eye first), but please let me know if that's not the case or if you find any problems with the checkerboard effect.

v17.2 provides eye-swapped versions of the interlaced, checkerboard, split-screen and frame-sequential stereo modes. These are labelled with a '2' in the stereoscopy menu.
The '1' versions should all be the more conventional configurations as far as I know; please let me know if I've got it wrong though.
I think 'line sequential 1' is the mode that will work with Zalman monitors.

Xerion - There's a few different faults in the game's rendering that can make it look blocky or smudgy at the moment. One of them is the motion blur, which seems to be adding some unwanted filtering. You can try setting the motion blur type to 'none' to see if it improves the clarity.
I've also noticed that the game can look a lot clearer in fullscreen mode than in windowed mode. Alt-enter toggles the fullscreen mode.
If you're running the game in 2D, you'll probably want to make sure that the 'frameRT' option is set to the default value of [/1], ie. full res.
Other than that, a few of the effects are just simply a bit blocky - namely the volume lighting, the 'fake' shadows and the ground dimples. I'll try to improve them.
The various 'RT' (render target) options in the config file can help to improve the quality, but they can easily degrade the performance as well.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback :D
phil
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Thanks for updated version. It works in crosseyed mode now, with splitscreen left, right 2.

Unfortunatly it seems to be even slower than before. I mean even the menue is realy slow after I turned on 3D...
In the game I get about 7fps... but the effects look much better than in 2D. For most games it's the opposite, because they are displayed all wrong in S-3D, so they get turned off :wink:
ayqz1u0s

zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

Line Sequential 2 seemed to be the version that worked with me. But this time I adjusted the 3d settings a bit more for my liking and it still looks awesome.

Known Bugs: Startup time too long
... are you sure about this one? it only took about 10 seconds on mine which I consider pretty good. Ive just been playing Mass Effect which wont start up in less than a minute
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

whoo!! Checkerboard support...now i will check this too!
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

phil,

you are the programmer? Very impressive...testing it in anaglyph right now...will shortly put it on my 50" plasma :)

What is the goal of this "game"? This is bizarre.

runs very, very fast here on my 8800GTS, but mouse-movementt is extremely sensitive...if i just touch my mouse it moves a lot already.

Will put it on the big screen now and play around with it...nice work!!!!

G.

Add: Runs very nice...but still very bizarre..in an unique way :)

Btw in "real life environment"...i just enter the real sizes of my screen, distance etc.?

I just wish in the demo would be more to see...hope you make a game out of this one day :)
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

LukePC1 - v17.2 fixes a bug that was causing the game speed to be doubled in most stereo modes. But if your framerate was bad then I imagine that bug would have been improving your experience slightly.
That's because the framerate-independence has a floor of 20fps so that nothing behaves unexpectedly in the event of a slideshow framerate (effects, collision, etc).
For the next version I'll add an option to keep the game speed framerate-independent even at very low framerates.

If you didn't already see the notes about the 'frameRT' option - it should be used to prevent unnecessary rendering in some stereo modes. Hopefully this will become automated in a later release.
Here are the optimal settings for each of the stereo modes (choose one line to suit the mode you're using):

display
{
    frameRT: [/1]     // full res for 2D / checkerboard / anaglyph / frame-sequential
    frameRT: [/2, /1] // halve the X res for split left-right
    frameRT: [/1, /2] // halve the Y res for split top-bottom / line-sequential
    frameRT: [/2]     // halve the X & Y res for WOWvx
}
You can always reduce the frameRT setting as low as you like to increase speed. Note that all the other 'RT' options are relative to 'frameRT' rather than the display res.

I'd be interested to know if the 'split top-bottom' mode could be made to work with your shutter glasses. I assume they use a sync-doubler to flicker between displaying the top and bottom halves of the video signal?
Can the sync-doubler and glasses be activated without letting the stereo drivers interfere with the rendering??
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

flexy - Hi, yes, this is my solo project, which I've been spending my evenings on since time began! Thanks for the compliments :D

It's a good point you have there about the goal of the game. There is really nothing for the player to do at the moment; it's more like a tech demo. But my top priority now is to add weapon/destruction effects, which should make things a lot more lively.
I need to put proper enemies in, but I still haven't decided what they should be. Any ideas for what might work? The 'story' of the game is just that it's a nightmare about being hunted down - it needs to be scary but it doesn't need to make any sense.

You can adjust the mouse sensitivity using 'Mouse pitch speed' and 'Mouse turn speed' in the Controls menu (interfaces > input > controls).

The 'Real world' options are like you say, they define all the real measurements of your playing setup. Since the menus don't work nicely yet, I'd recommend just typing the values into Custom.txt (see Default.txt for more info).
The 'Auto FOV' feature works in conjunction with the real-world measurements to display the scene at 'actual size' as if you were looking through a window. Using TrackIR takes this further so that objects stay actual-size when you move in and out from the monitor, and it lets you peek round the edges of the screen. My TrackIR support is still rough, but it really reinforces the 3D modes - it's spooky!
Without headtracking, fixed-monitor stereo illusions tend to break as soon as you move your head (unless you're using WOWvx or something, which is designed for that).

zoomin - Yes, the interpupillary distance is the distance between the centres of your eyes. I find that the impression of 'weightiness' I get from the scene is quite sensitively affected by the interpupillary distance, so I think it's an important one to get right.
What settings are working best for you? Feel free to email me with your options profiles (anyone)! :D

Cheers,
phil
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

phil wrote:LukePC1 - v17.2 fixes a bug that was causing the game speed to be doubled in most stereo modes. But if your framerate was bad then I imagine that bug would have been improving your experience slightly.
That's because the framerate-independence has a floor of 20fps so that nothing behaves unexpectedly in the event of a slideshow framerate (effects, collision, etc).
For the next version I'll add an option to keep the game speed framerate-independent even at very low framerates.

If you didn't already see the notes about the 'frameRT' option - it should be used to prevent unnecessary rendering in some stereo modes. Hopefully this will become automated in a later release.
Here are the optimal settings for each of the stereo modes (choose one line to suit the mode you're using):

display
{
    frameRT: [/1]     // full res for 2D / checkerboard / anaglyph / frame-sequential
    frameRT: [/2, /1] // halve the X res for split left-right
    frameRT: [/1, /2] // halve the Y res for split top-bottom / line-sequential
    frameRT: [/2]     // halve the X & Y res for WOWvx
}
You can always reduce the frameRT setting as low as you like to increase speed. Note that all the other 'RT' options are relative to 'frameRT' rather than the display res.

I'd be interested to know if the 'split top-bottom' mode could be made to work with your shutter glasses. I assume they use a sync-doubler to flicker between displaying the top and bottom halves of the video signal?
Can the sync-doubler and glasses be activated without letting the stereo drivers interfere with the rendering??
I'm not shure, if my shutterglasses (old elsa Revelators) can do an of that 'advanced' stuff. Maybe someone with ED glasses is able to do it...

I used x-eyed or crosseyed view without the need of any glasses. It kind of works, but it's hard for a long time, you get only half the resolution and somehow it looks worse than Shutters. It's hard to get any popout, since it depends on how much you cross your eyes...

If you had shutterglasses it would most propably look the same, but would be easier to learn for beginners.
ayqz1u0s

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I don't know if it's normal but it's slower in fullscreen. It might be because of the higher resolution in fullscreen.

I think I found some bugs. I tried to change the resolution from inside the game (I wanted to set a lower fullscreen resolution). It uses some weird increments so it's impossible to set the game to a normal resolution (800x600, 1024x768, etc). Also, if you decrease the resolution to 0, you can't increase it afterward.

I tried the interlaced mode with my Another Eye 2000 glasses and it seems to work correctly. I also tried the over/under mode with these same glasses. These glasses can be put in over/under mode with a sync doubler with the press of a button but they require the over and under views to be separated by a black bar. If you don't do it, the two eye views don't line up vertically and one view (or the two of them) get cropped a bit in the bottom or the top.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Tril wrote:I think I found some bugs. I tried to change the resolution from inside the game (I wanted to set a lower fullscreen resolution). It uses some weird increments so it's impossible to set the game to a normal resolution (800x600, 1024x768, etc). Also, if you decrease the resolution to 0, you can't increase it afterward.
Yeah, I had the same thing happen. After I tried to change the resolution it would start moving in wild increments and you couldn't get back. For example, if it said "800" I would move up one position and it would jump to say "837". Then pressing down once would bring it to "817". Going down again would drop it to "742" or something random. It made no sense to me how it worked. I was playing on an hdtv and it only support a few resolutions (none that were listed) so I just left it at 800x600 or it wouldn't display full-screen.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi Tril, thanks for the info.

The menus aren't fully working yet, so it does choose some pretty crazy numbers. You can set exact values by editing the Custom.txt file in the Profiles folder (see Default.txt for more info).
The default fullscreen res is 1280x1024 but if you set it to 800x600 it should be slightly faster than the windowed mode.
You can paste these lines into Custom.txt to control the resolution:

display
{
    fullScreenXRes:    800
    fullScreenYRes:    600
    windowXRes:        800
    windowYRes:        600
}
I would be very interested to see a screen grab of something working correctly in under-over mode with your glasses. I'd like to know what size & position this black bar needs to be at exactly. Is there any way you could show me / send me a screenshot of the required output format, or is there documentation somewhere?

Thanks,
phil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I did some testing for the over/under mode of the Another Eye 2000. At a resolution of 1280x1024 at 60 Hz, It needs the upper picture to be 491 pixels of height, the black bar need to be 50 pixels of height and the bottom picture need to be 491 pixels of height.

I took a jps screenshot and did some editing to test that. It worked well. I then tried a slightly lower resolution of 1280x768 (to test a lower vertical resolution). I just scaled the edited picture to the new resolution and it rendered correctly with maybe one pixel off. It looks like you can use rule of three and calculate with only a small error the necessary width and position of the black bar for any resolution using 60 Hz.

EDIT : I just noticed that I don't make sense. 491 + 491 + 50 = 1032. I wanted to say 491, 491 and 42.
Last edited by Tril on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”