S3D on Geforce8 (Update: works with >= 177.79 XP 32)

b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by b4thman »

compared with a 7800 GTX, what is the differences?.... is there the same compatibility and support, or there are big differences?.... what about artifacts that somebody said?. I´m thinking to buy a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, but I need to be sure what I buy, and if I will have surprises.
Anybody have tried "Planar" type?... I have shutterglasses+crt and planar (with two tfts), and usually I play in planar.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

b4thman wrote:compared with a 7800 GTX, what is the differences?.... is there the same compatibility and support, or there are big differences?.... what about artifacts that somebody said?. I´m thinking to buy a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, but I need to be sure what I buy, and if I will have surprises.
Anybody have tried "Planar" type?... I have shutterglasses+crt and planar (with two tfts), and usually I play in planar.
I also have a 7900GTX and there is a difference. Everything I run with the 8800 (all the racing games that is) are maxed out at 1280/1024 and it almost never drops below 30fps, only at the race start when you look at 50 cars ahead of you it goes down to 15-20 but back up once you get going. With the 7900 I could not run 1280/1024 (well it worked but not very good) and 1024/768 was on medium settings or it would be btw 20-30 most of the time. 1024/768 with the 8800 is almost always above 60fps, again 15-20 at the start with many cars ahead (lots of shadows etc).

There are no artifacts and it looks normal to me if you set aa to oblivion compatibility and supersampling on. Once in a while there's some weird flashing when the game loads or when viewing the replay, but not when playing.

I think Vader said in the first post that planar works.

The one thing that sucks is that if something crashes and you need to press the power button to rest, the nvidia control panel doesn't work anymore after the reboot and you need to reinstall the drivers. At least for me it doesn't, probably had to reinstall them 20 times when testing stuff out. but once you know what works it's fine.

As for the 8800ultra, it's around $500, the gtx is around $280 and you can clock it to ultra speeds just fine.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

b4thman wrote:compared with a 7800 GTX, what is the differences?.... is there the same compatibility and support, or there are big differences?.... what about artifacts that somebody said?. I´m thinking to buy a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, but I need to be sure what I buy, and if I will have surprises.
I will know more next week when my 8800GTS 320MB gets here, I am currently on 171.23 forceware/162.50 stereo with a 7900GS and a planar setup. (side note, that 8800 was $108 total, including shipping.) My 7900GS should be about as fast as your 7800 because it has the same amount of pixel and vertex shaders, although my card is clocked at 650mhz :D, so I can probably provide you with a little reference.

Like The_Doctor said the Ultra is not a noticeable amount faster than the highest overclocked GTX, just more expensive (because it IS an overclocked GTX :P). $275 vs $420 (+$20 shipping on the ultra, so $440):

8800GTX on ebay

8800Ultra on eBay

So in bang for the buck it doesn't make a lot of sense, if you wanted to get even more technical, an 8800GTS 640mb is only $185, will that $90 gain you 50% more performance? I somehow doubt it, although it might (what resolution is your Planar rig?).

8800GTS 640MB on eBay
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

But, I believe S3D does have an impact on framebuffer usage. I don't have any real world data to prove it though...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
graysters
One Eyed Hopeful

SOLVED: ELSA Revelator Goggles irregular flicker...

Post by graysters »

Hi all,

Has anyone out there managed to get their ELSA Revelator (IR wireless) shutter glasses working with this method???

By following VadersApp's guide, I've had limited success in that I can get my system to show me a left/right seperated display on the medical test and test application, however, once the tests start, my Revelator shutter glasses appear to start flickering at random... Occasionally they seem to sync with the display for a couple of seconds and I get a glimpse of glorious stereo, but soon drift out and start flickering at random again.... :(

I notice from some fairly old threads on other forums, this seems to be a common problem, which seems to be related to an IRQ conflicts with the graphics card. However, I've checked in device manager, and my graphics card appears to have an IRQ of its own...

I've checked the batteries in the glasses, and they've fine, so it does seem to be a problem with the transmission of shutter commands :(

EDIT 19-Apr-2008: IT WAS THE BATTERIES ALL ALONG!!! See my post Below vvv

Any other suggestions?

Would desperately love to get stereo working on my 8800GTX

Cheers,

Graysters
Last edited by graysters on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

I have found an Asus 8800 ultra at 250€, and probably I´ll buy it tomorrow. It is only a few more expensive (not a lot) than a GTX, and seem to have better cooling and I suppose the same but something better quality components (Vram and gpu). Playing in stereo all aditional frames per second are wellcome, and it is sure that I will need more power in some games.

I´m playing in a planar system made with two viewsonic 17" widescreeen tft monitors, and usually I play in 1440x900 (native resolution) if the game doensn´t eat a lot of power. I´m using 162.50 combo drivers and I can play most D3D games perfectly, but opengl games doesn´t work with planar (using crt I can play perfectly doom3, IL2, or any opengl game... but I prefer planar and not to play these games).

I have installed the driver in this forum (only for test), and it is perfectly possible to select planar type if I use a vga switch before the 1st tft monitor, but is not better than 162.50 combo (using 7800 gtx), and the same problem with opengl games with planar. But good thing to know that it is posible to activate the stereo types so easy.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

b4thman wrote:I have found an Asus 8800 ultra at 250€, and probably I´ll buy it tomorrow. It is only a few more expensive (not a lot) than a GTX, and seem to have better cooling and I suppose the same but something better quality components (Vram and gpu). Playing in stereo all aditional frames per second are wellcome, and it is sure that I will need more power in some games.

I´m playing in a planar system made with two viewsonic 17" widescreeen tft monitors, and usually I play in 1440x900 (native resolution) if the game doensn´t eat a lot of power. I´m using 162.50 combo drivers and I can play most D3D games perfectly, but opengl games doesn´t work with planar (using crt I can play perfectly doom3, IL2, or any opengl game... but I prefer planar and not to play these games).

I have installed the driver in this forum (only for test), and it is perfectly possible to select planar type if I use a vga switch before the 1st tft monitor, but is not better than 162.50 combo (using 7800 gtx), and the same problem with opengl games with planar. But good thing to know that it is posible to activate the stereo types so easy.
Be prepared for weird stuff to happen though, sometimes the nvidia control panel stops working, sometimes colors look weird, sometimes stuff just crashes and so on. If you can put up with that, it works :shock:

250E is ok I guess.
graysters
One Eyed Hopeful

ELSA Revelator Glasses working!

Post by graysters »

:D

Managed to get my Revelator glasses working in with my 8800GTX in XP (32bit)!

It was the batteries all along! :roll:

although the two CR2032 batteries in the glasses were measuring just over the rated 3v each, I guess this was dropping just enough when under load that it caused the glasses to behave erraticlly. Once I'd replaced them with a fresh pair, they worked perfectly!

Thanks VadersApp for the great guide, and indeed the rest of the MTBS3D community for helping me see in glorious stereo again after all these years!

Well Chuffed! :D

Graysters
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

Awesome guide!

But I feel like an idiot because I just bought a pair of top-quality anaglyph red/cyan glasses for my 8800GTX (my other computer, not the one with 2 7900GTX's). Then I read the guide again and it said that it does not work with anaglyph glasses.

I tried it myself (without changing the monitor to undetected), and the screen would flash very rapidly, like flickering for a minute with Nvidia stereo3d test application before going BSOD (first time I've seen a BSOD in like 1 year!). Interestingly, the only option available was anaglyph glasses--it did not have a drop-down menu for other modes like DDC shutterglasses.

Now, I'm a bit pissed with those glasses lying around on my desk ($20 waste). So, are you guys absolutely sure there's no way to make it work with anaglyph on a LCD monitor in WinXP-32 with an 8800GTX? Any driver combinations at all? Or, do I have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the horrendous Vista upgrade?
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Bo_Fox wrote:Awesome guide!

But I feel like an idiot because I just bought a pair of top-quality anaglyph red/cyan glasses for my 8800GTX (my other computer, not the one with 2 7900GTX's). Then I read the guide again and it said that it does not work with anaglyph glasses.

I tried it myself (without changing the monitor to undetected), and the screen would flash very rapidly, like flickering for a minute with Nvidia stereo3d test application before going BSOD (first time I've seen a BSOD in like 1 year!). Interestingly, the only option available was anaglyph glasses--it did not have a drop-down menu for other modes like DDC shutterglasses.

Now, I'm a bit pissed with those glasses lying around on my desk ($20 waste). So, are you guys absolutely sure there's no way to make it work with anaglyph on a LCD monitor in WinXP-32 with an 8800GTX? Any driver combinations at all? Or, do I have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the horrendous Vista upgrade?
You can use the iz3d driver for anaglyph in win xp.
DDuckMan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DDuckMan »

Well, I just tried the 171.23b + 162.50 combo in XP32 and it went surprisingly well. Hellgate London works almost perfectly with no real tweaking yet. A few things in the UI are at the wrong depth and there are some blocking artifacts, particularly with the held weapon. Overall it is about as good a 3D effect as I have seen save for some of the driving games. Some notes:

1) I did not need to worry about monitor detection. At first I tried like hell to remove any traces of my Sony CRT profile. For some reason, even after removing it in device manager and installing "default monitor" drivers, the nVidia control panel still listed the Sony when I tried to reinstall my custom refresh rates for stereo. So, it would not let me add custom refresh rates. I gave up and re-installed the Sony drivers and refresh rates, went into the stereo properties for the first time and everything worked fine. I use the Revelator cable, but I doubt that makes a difference. It could be something with TFT monitors.

2) For me, the registry settings for the old control panel are in the ...\NvCplApi\Policies area rather than the ...\Stereo3D area.

3) nHancer was needed for artifacts. I hoped to avoid installing another app. When I launched the nVidia 3D test application, there were quite a few artifacts. I installed nHancer and simply ticked the Oblivion (AA/HDR) compatability mode on the global pane. Now the nVidia test application looks perfect. I may be able to reduce artifacts in Hellgate with other nHancer settings.

4) Stereo takes a smaller hit on FR than I remember. With a 8800GTS 640mb card, I got 20-40 fps in the Stonehenge area of Hellgate @ 1600 x 1000 x 110Hz with 8xCSAA, and supersampled transparency AA. Quite playable at those settings and not much different than without 3D. In game settings are maxed except shadows are on medium. I expected to have to go down to 1280 x 800 or tone down the AA.

Overall a surprisingly painless process, without a single blue screen or lock. Highly recommended to 3D fans with CRTs.
MB - ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
CPU - E6600
RAM - 4GB
GPU - BFG GTX 280
Goggles - ELSA Revelator circa 1999
nVidia 3D Vision circa 2009
Ryan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ryan »

Since DuckMan is reporting monitor detection doesn't cause problems, has anyone tested this on their 3D-DLP setup over DVI/HDMI?
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

I recently downloaded the new stereo drivers for windows vista (174.76). I noticed that in regedit you can make all the changes you can with the older stereo driver (162.50). It almost looks like all the same functionality as the old driver is in the new. I made the changes but did not get any other option than analglyph but this may also be the result of not removing the vga pin to prevent detection of my projector. I am going to try removing the pin on an adapter tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. The newer vista drivers if they contain the shutterglass option may be more stable for the 8800 series and possibly others. Anyone interested in joining in on this adaptation for Vista please post your insight.
venge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by venge »

Are you sure you can make all the changes like older stereo drivers??? I've tried (also with standard monitor driver for my screen) but i get only anaglyph!, indeed i've to try with 174.76 (I've only tried 174.75)

I've also tried 174.75 anaglyph mode!! they're perfect, they work with every game, also crysis, with full adjustable stereo, and screenshot feature working well!;
I want this adaptation on vista, for my shutterglasses!!!
Nvidia 8800GTX 173.68FW + 162.50 Stereo
Windows XP-32
Edimensional wired shutterglasses
SONY CPDE220 17"
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

ngsmith wrote:I recently downloaded the new stereo drivers for windows vista (174.76). I noticed that in regedit you can make all the changes you can with the older stereo driver (162.50). It almost looks like all the same functionality as the old driver is in the new. I made the changes but did not get any other option than analglyph but this may also be the result of not removing the vga pin to prevent detection of my projector. I am going to try removing the pin on an adapter tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. The newer vista drivers if they contain the shutterglass option may be more stable for the 8800 series and possibly others. Anyone interested in joining in on this adaptation for Vista please post your insight.
A friend of mine looked into it and it looks like the shutterlasses part probably doesn't even exist in the drivers (so that people should not be able to enable it in any way).
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

I tried disabling the vga pin today but it had no luck. In answer to Venge's question all the registry information is the same for this driver as the earlier, which leads me to think that this driver like the earlier can support other s3d options but it is just disabled in the gui control panel as the earlier version.
venge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by venge »

I've added old driver stereo settings to my registry under vista 64 with new 174.76 stereo driver, especially "showallviewertypes" to one, but i can't see other options than anaglyph, it should be like you said, they've disabled 'em in the GUI, but, is there a way to registry-force my driver to use DDC vga mode?? or dual VGA mode??.

Thanks again! hoping nvidia will add glasses support with new stereo drivers......
Windows XP-32
SONY CPDE220 17"
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

Hi Venge,

I discovered yesterday that you can manually set the registry to the view type that you want. I discovered this by examining the registry every time I changed my stereo option using the old stereo driver in XP. In the same place in the registry you will see stereoviewertype set to 0x80000001 if you modify it to hexidecimal 1 so it reads 0x00000001 (1) that is the setting in the old stereo driver for the DDG Shutterglasses. (Each stereo option can be changed by just changing it to the next higher number in hexidecimals). I discovered that if you reopen the control panel it will set it back to the analglyph (0x80000001)-This works on the old stereo driver too if you are not using an analog connection. What I have not tested yet is whether if you enable stereo with anaglyph and make sure it is all setup and then exit the control panel and change the registry to 0x00000001 and run a game whether it will revert back to the anaglyph or use the Shutterglass option.
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

Questions over removing pin or not (For older stereo driver and forceware on XP only). I noticed that in the topics people are not sure whether they need to remove the bottom right pin of their vga cable. After a little testing it is clear that you do if you do not have a revelator controller. The revelator controler is missing the bottom right pin which makes whatever crt or projector you plug into seen as analog non-pnp. If you are using any other controller you will need to disable the pin. A simple test to prove this is to plug your crt or projector directly into your video card with the pin in place. The only option you will be given is anaglyph. Now bend the pin out of the way and repeat the process (You may need to restart your computer) (I recommend using a cheap converter or old vga cable if you are worried about damaging the pin). When restarted you should now have all the options available.

As a side note (untested). You can manually change your viewertype in regedit to what you want. I am curious whether manually changing will allow you to avoid the hardware protection of your crt/projector not requiring the use of the pin removal. This will have to be done after the stereo driver is enabled because the control panel will change the registry back to anaglyph.
venge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by venge »

Hi all,

here's my result after trying to force stereo modes via registry:

- In vista 64, with 174.74FW and 174.75 (or .76) Stereo driver, i've tried to change stereoviewertype to 1 but it resulte completely useless, it doesn't care of what you specify into registry under LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA CORP./Global/Stereo3D (I've also had to MANUALLY ADD this key!! because driver install doesn't create it!!), everything i'm trying to write there (show all viewer types, or stereo view type, etc...) is completely ignored by the stereo driver; i guess stereo settings should be specified from another location, at last for vista 64 (but i think it'll be te same with vista 32); stereo driver works perfectly but just in anaglyph mode....

- under winXP i've got my 8800gtx working well with many games, and for me it's not necessary to remove the pin, it's enough to configure the monitor as a "standard monitor" or "plug & play monitor" and my EDim shutterglasses works perfectly... what doesn't work well is stereo separation for games like crysis or UT3 (i mean distant separation almost the same as close one.. even trying to exxagerrate convergence, giving you an almos null 3d effect and impossibility to get a popout effect)

That's what i've got after many days of trying, with many driver combos and O/Ss.... they HAVE TO include support with their f..k..g driver to have a great experience.

byez
Windows XP-32
SONY CPDE220 17"
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

I don´t know why Nvidia has not show us this "tweak" before... I´m sure they knew. Maybe because there are any big problem not solved (I don´t know what is the problem)?... Maybe because they have absolutely NO interest in support the stereo3d 8800 owners?... Maybe because they are in reallity ATI fans... :P ?... I don´t know, but it is strange that one member in the comunity discover the lost paradise.

Maybe because Nvidia was thinking about to screw us sometime ago, before to know how to make possible the 8800 compatibility?.
leadsinga
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by leadsinga »

Ok guys need your help!

I have a pair of EVG920D HMD simular to the VR920.

I have run what you have written here using the driver combination and am very excited!!!!

The nvidia test app's worded perfect!!!! I had a great 3d image in my 920's ... blown away accually as the nvidia sign in the app test comes right out of screen in my glasses to float just in front of my eyes ... amazing!!!!

My problem is I need to get my games to run in stereo and only run in 640x480 ... e.g FSX runs min 1024x768 and I need to get it to display in 640x480 or my EVG920D just goes blue ... they can't downsize automaticlly like the VR920.

How can I get this to happen ... please anyone!!!

I'm so close that I am fizzing having just seen the 3d and not having 3d for many years!!!

The forum you have here on how to get the 8800 working worked great now I just need to finish this off ...

So again all I need to get going is making the games run only in 640x480. Thus stereo in my glasses :-)

Thanks in advance.

Murray
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

My problem is I need to get my games to run in stereo and only run in 640x480 ... e.g FSX runs min 1024x768
That's exactly the problem that the z800 owners have, but with 800x600. And there are some games that don't support those resolutions anymore.

In the case of FSX, it can be forced to run in 800x600, and I suppose that it will work in 640x480. You have to set the resolution manually at the fsx.cfg, located at \Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\ The only problem is that you have to set it manually every time you change display settings on the game GUI.
X-plane 8 doesn't support less than 1024x768 at all, but, after some whining by my side on the tech list, X-plane 9 "allows" 800x600 :) You have to set it manually, too.
For me, stereo 3D in flight sims is the best experience in 3D, I wish you luck so you can enjoy it too.
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Every 5-6th computer start the desktop turns to 800/600 and looks like a pastel painting. Reinstalling non-stereo drivers fixes the problem. Anybody has this happening?
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

New issue (possibly), I got an 8800GTS 320MB and uninstalled the nvidia drivers and did a reboot. Re-installed 171.23 and 162.50 Stereo right after and then rebooted. I can get "3D" the trouble is that it paints both screens on top of each other, the mirrored view and regular view are directly on top of each other.

So it looks like shutter mode is active in a Planar setup on both screens. I have a pair od Hitachi screens that are actually OEM Planar brand units, and I don't know if this has any bearing (although they detect as Hitachi monitors). This is the same in DVI, and one VGA/one DVI setup.

I have tried to set the refresh to 60hz on both monitors, and 75hz on both monitors, no luck yet. The issues without AA mode set to 00045 are readily noticeable as severe graphical corruption, and it clears up perfectly, except for the fact it is sending the same screen to each monitor on alternate frames.

Any thoughts? I can only think to try Dual VGA (every single method shows up though, and as far as I can tell working, perhaps it is my choice of test app? I am using 3Dmark01 and the nVidia Test app).

For the guy who didn't want to install nHancer (can't say I blame you, I had .Net installed already apparently), here is the entry in the file \Windows\System32\nvapps.xml :

Code: Select all

<PROFILE Label="Base Profile">
			<PROPERTY Label="aa_default" Value="0x00000002" Default="0x00000000" />
			<PROPERTY Label="gamma_correct_aa" Value="0x00020000" Default="0x00020000" />
			<PROPERTY Label="aa_selector" Value="0x20000000" Default="0x00000000" />
			<PROPERTY Label="aa_feature_bits" Value="0x00000045" Default="0x00000000" />
			<PROPERTY Label="af_default" Value="0x00000001" Default="0x00000001" />
			<PROPERTY Label="aniso_selector" Value="0x00000000" Default="0x00000000" />
			<PROPERTY Label="vsync_default" Value="0x47814940" Default="0x60925292" />
			<PROPERTY Label="forcemipmaps_advanced" Value="0x00000000" Default="0x00000000" />
		</PROFILE>
It is possible that all of the "aa" settings are important, I do not know.

EDIT:

I got it to work! Dual VGA seemed to work, each screen got its own proper image on the medical test! :), I need to do some fiddling with the "all programs use stereo refresh rate" setting as this may have some bearing on it, but . . .
I just re-enabled Coolbits 2.0 and it ruined the 3D! I need to try it again and be more selective (I was trying to get a refresh rate cap because some games max the refresh, and with the monitors not detected that is 120hz or higher, which of course they can't do.), I will be un-installing the drivers, and re-installing them, I may try again with DVI, but not until I get VGA working.

Edit2:

Re-installed the drivers, both monitors are VGA, unfortunately they were detected and they never worked properly. (I think that the detect assumption is correct, as the only hint of correct operation has been with undetected monitors.) It "works" in that I don't get a crash, lockup, freeze solid, reboot etc, and there aren't any apparent graphical problems with the output. But it always acts like it is shutterglasses, even in a mirrored setup. I haven't decided what to modify yet, but I think I need to disable the edid detection somehow before this will properly work. Has anyone got an idea how to do that from software so that I can use DVI?
Last edited by nubie on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I was completely wrong, it wasn't working, what happened was that my LCD defaults to a "compatibility mode" when displaying 120hz, it seems to discard every other frame and displays the horizontal resolution squashed to half.

I mistook seeing only one eye image (due to the discarded frame), as a proper planar setup.

This completely sucks. Currently running on dual VGA (with no pin 15 in either monitor cable), I have always been able to get all options in the panel, even with dual-DVI and properly detected LCD's, but they all think they are shutterglasses when it comes to display, even in a mirrored mode :( (the image gets mirrored, and then displayed as the shutter right eye image, on both screens.)

If anyone knows how to make the damn driver stop page-flipping let me know :( :( Otherwise it looks like this 8800GTS is useless to me :( (severe headaches even without shutter-glasses, they are not an option)

I am open to suggestions, blech.

b4thman

Post by b4thman »

Same here nubie. I´ve bought a Nvidia 8800 ultra, and today I have installed 171.23/162.50 and 173.68/162.50, and it happend here exactly what you say. If I use normal vga cable, windows detects my two viewsonic lcd monitors and I only have the anaglyph type option to choose. And if I use the vga cable without pins the monitors are detected like alanogue screens and I can choose different stereo3d types (and shuttherglasses type (DDC VGA...) works fine), but if I choose "planar mirror left/right" it happend exactly that you say, I see the two images (mirrored and not mirrored) in the two monitors. I have tried with different things in the nvidia control pannel and some things with nHancer, but nothing works. It seem like if this driver does not support planar setup. The planar type is present to choose and doesn´t work properly, but the images are mirrored, so it seem also be possible to solve the problem.
10000_miles
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 10000_miles »

I should think it would be a simple matter to stop the page-flipping, when will there be support :(

I wish I knew more about hacking the drivers! Can anyone with this working confirm that their Planar mode is without page-flipping? Maybe I just did something wrong.

I installed and always got all of the modes, without a missing pin. I tried removing the pins, still is stuck in a shutterglasses mode. (If only I had a DLP shutter solution :D @120hz 8) )
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

I have installed 169.21/162.50 (they was working well with Planar+2LCDs or shutterglasses+CRT using a 7900 gtx), and works too with my new 8800 ultra in shutterglasses type (forcint AA with nHancer, and the Oblivion AA compatibility), but the problem with Planar is the same. This mean that the driver support planar, but planar does not work properly with 8800 series. Why?..... I have no idea.

Using planar and 8800 it happend what we said, the two images (normal and mirrored) are show in the both lcd screens, and they are flicking like if you select shuttherglasses type.

I don´t know if to use my old 7800GTX with Planar lcds, or this new 8800Ultra with my old CRT and shutters.... visual quality or power, that´s the question for me. There would be needed to solve this planar 8800 problem.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Does anyone have a powerful Stereoscopic setting application? I mean something that will stop the page-flipping?

At this point I am seriously considering the iZ3D drivers, if they can make them work.

By now it seems clear that nVidia has made a conscious decision to remove the support. Not that it won't work, or that it can't work, but that they refuse to allow us the option.

IF on the other hand they charged $20 for it like the "Purevideo" thing, but provided it for free with partner hardware (AKA Zalman), then I could understand.

Why bite the early adopters (AKA the hand that feeds you), nvidia? Why? We buy more and more of your product all of the time, it is like a drug habit for us, we are just going to find another dealer, stupids.

On a side note I installed the 174.74 and was greeted with a blue-screen nv4mini error and a reboot every time I tried to use it.

Since I am currently interested in playing Trackmania United Forever which supports a dual VGA mode I think I will try something with mirrors to allow me to separate the images in a Horizontal span mode. It looks like I will be using a pair of mirrors for the right eye, and setting the left monitor back farther to account for the difference. That or re-purpose the optics from this toy HMD VR and see if they will diverge my vision while my eyes converge naturally. Ha, a box with viewing optics and twin screens :D, back in 1910 again? (come on nvidia, this is freaking ridiculous, I hope iZ3D comes out with a $200 driver, I really do, that way nVidia will see how stupid they are. People will be buying it, instead of giving the money to nVidia)

I suppose I could also just put the 7900GS 650mhz Overclock back in (it really does seem faster in just about everything except raw shading power :( ), but then what do I do with this 8800GTS I just bought?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

nubie wrote:Ha, a box with viewing optics and twin screens :D
...one screen per eye gives the best stereo 3D effect you can have no matter what....
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

What strange things... I´m trying with my crt and 8800 ultra, and it works what is said here, but parciality. AA types in nHancer works different in different resolutions (always with Oblivion AA & HDR selected, of course), but all of them offer the same quality (2x2, 4x4, 2x1, etc... all are the same quality, the only difference is that some of them gives us artifacts, but p.example 1024x768@85hz always works fine without artifacts with any AA type).

I can not play Tomb Raider Anniversary free of artifacts, I can not play any Opengl game (doom3 doesnt execute, and the same with IL-2 or any game in opengl). FEAR works without problems. F1-Challenge show artifacts. I have not tested more games, but this is not like 7800 gtx... this is a whole alpha driver for the 8800 series, and in my opinion this is not any solution like I see now. I will test some things and probably I will return to my 7800gtx + planar system.
shacker
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: SOLVED: ELSA Revelator Goggles irregular flicker...

Post by shacker »

graysters wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone out there managed to get their ELSA Revelator (IR wireless) shutter glasses working with this method???

By following VadersApp's guide, I've had limited success in that I can get my system to show me a left/right seperated display on the medical test and test application, however, once the tests start, my Revelator shutter glasses appear to start flickering at random... Occasionally they seem to sync with the display for a couple of seconds and I get a glimpse of glorious stereo, but soon drift out and start flickering at random again.... :(

I notice from some fairly old threads on other forums, this seems to be a common problem, which seems to be related to an IRQ conflicts with the graphics card. However, I've checked in device manager, and my graphics card appears to have an IRQ of its own...

I've checked the batteries in the glasses, and they've fine, so it does seem to be a problem with the transmission of shutter commands :(

EDIT 19-Apr-2008: IT WAS THE BATTERIES ALL ALONG!!! See my post Below vvv
I had very similar issue on wired version of ELSA 3D Revelator, test started fine, and after 1 second synchronization was lost. After all it was a monitor problem - it's probably not DCC2 compilant. The solution can by find here
Q: My glasses are flickering irregularly when using the nVidia driver.

A: There are usually 4 possible reasons:

Reason 1) DCC (display control channel) conflict with your monitor (affects Revelator, i-glasses, eDim, X3D, Virtual-i and others with DCC-trigger)
Solution:
a) If your monitor doesn't support DCC at all make shure the pins 12 and 15 of the VGA cable aren't connected to 'ground', otherwise continue with step d)
b) If your monitor only supports DCC1 the glasses won't work - go to step d)
c) If your monitor supports DCC2 you should disable power management. Don't switch off and on the monitor as long as the PC is on, otherwise the monitor will fall back into DCC1 mode, resulting in glasses failure.
d) Get a seperate monitor cable and remove pins 12 and 15 (don't do this on the cable which is fixed to your monitor or you'll loose the warranty). The cable has to sit beween the glasses-controller and the monitor (monitor -> fixed monitor cable -> manipulated monitor cable -> glasses cable -> VGA-board)
So pin removal helps it to work with some monitors (mine was MAG 786FD).

Anyway I'm using 173.68 + 162.50 stereo and it works fine.
My system:
- C2D E4400@2.9Ghz
- Gigabyte 8800GTS 320Mb
- 2GB of RAM @870Mhz
- Eizo S1931SH LCD Screen (19") and MAG786FD CRT (1024x768x100Hz 17")

Games already tested and working:
- Flatout (perfect except menu, hud ok)
- Flatout 2 (great but HUD not working right)
- F1 Racing Championship from Ubisoft (great, very minor problems in menu, hud is ok)
- Richard Burns Rally (fine, problems on startup - movies are shown as green screen, just keep pressing Enter)
- Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed Enhanced Ver (great, hud ok depends on convergence point)
- Oblivion (fine)
- NFS Most Wanted - Works if visual treatment is set to low, overbright off, motion blur turned off by Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Graphics Optimizer
- Sims 2 - works quite fine, convergence point should be at hud to play, some small artifacts and ghosting occurs
- Diver Parallel Lines - great when pixel shader 1.0 used
- Switchball - perfect
- The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary - perfect
- Bioshock - seems to be ok
- Assassin's Creed - works, screen edges problem
- Far Cry - great

Games not working:
- OpenGL crashes - Doom3, Quake 3
- Test Drive Unlimited
- Battlefield 2 (ground flickers, no idea what fix for that)
- Company Of Heroes - artifacts
- Infernal - not working, no stereo mode
- Colin Dirt - works in low detail, no stereo effect
- Overlord - no stereo

Hard to say:
- Call Of Duty 4 - it works technically on low detail, crosshair is wrong, stereo effect is missing something, or it's only me :)
- GTA San Andreas - works but ....
- Sega Rally Revo - playable at lowest detail, weak stereo effect, however it works
- Warcraft III - interface broken

Also there is a problem when systems boots up on LCD connected via DVI (single display), then when I switch to single display CRT and enable stereo driver it works on 60Hz. System reboot is required.
Also when stereo driver is enabled playing movies doesn't work.
Last edited by shacker on Fri May 02, 2008 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

shacker wrote:Also when stereo driver is enabled playing movies doesn't work.
Do you mean playing S-3D movies (using Stereoscopic Player, for example) doesn't work? Or playing regular 2D movies (using Windows Media Player, for example) doesn't work. Thanks.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

shacker wrote: Hard to say:
- Call Of Duty 4 - it works technically on low detail, crosshair is wrong, stereo effect is missing something, or it's only me :)
- GTA San Andreas - works but ....
- Sega Rally Revo - playable at lowest detail, weak stereo effect, however it works
I've got a clue for Cod4 - and maybe some other games, too.
Try to push crtl+F6 for a high convergence long enough. The first layer of Postprocessing goes away and the image is quite nice. This was the fact with a little older drivers, but maybe you're lucky :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
pedrolbna
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pedrolbna »

Hi all.

Give the man a cigar!!! :)

I followed VadersApp initial instructions and got BSOD in most games (ex: GTR2, Rfactor).
Then I decided to try the medical image trick, and bingo!
All I have to do is view the medical image after booting and then everything works.

I'm now able to enjoy my setup:
8800GTX
E6600@3.26GHz
z800
Win XP with 169.44 beta forceware + 162.50 beta stereo drivers

Thanks!!!
shacker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shacker »

ssiu wrote:
shacker wrote:Also when stereo driver is enabled playing movies doesn't work.
Do you mean playing S-3D movies (using Stereoscopic Player, for example) doesn't work? Or playing regular 2D movies (using Windows Media Player, for example) doesn't work. Thanks.
I meant regular 2D movies. I've tried Stereoscopis Player with some wmv stereo sample movies and it started like this:

Stereo movies are working fine when "Disable hardware accelerated YUV to RGB conversion" is selected in player options. So hardware acceleration/overlay is broken when stereo is enabled.
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

Why using Planar type and 7800GTX all works fine in both screens, and using 8800GTX and the same driver the two monitors show the two images at the same time and flickering in both screens?. Any suggestion?.

Yesterday I returned to see my CRT and my shutterglasses, but it is not the same once I have experienced the planar system.... I need to return to the planar. Must be any way to use planar with 8800 cards.

I don´t know why Nvidia force us to use a bad stereo3d system like that z****n monitor that show in the screen only half of the entire pixels... I will never use it. I prefer to play only old games using my 78000GTX with planar (shutterglasses is other option), or play new games without stereo3D (I have anaglyph good glasses, but it is not a solution and I prefer forget sterero than using a thing that is not very good for my body).

Very well done, Nvidia... I don´t understand this decision.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I agree, I wonder about pedrolbna, he seems to have got it working on 169.44 Forceware beta. He is using z800, so it might be he just is able to use page-flipping/shutter-glasses mode.

Why oh why nVidia? :( (wow, I have got to sell this card and quit whining, it isn't getting me anywhere or doing me any good, I suppose the prices will only drop, and eventually we will see the iZ3D Planar support, it is so close I almost taste it, if it was mirrored in the right eye it would be done :) )
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hey Nubie! Make a temporary rig where you mirror one of the monitors once before the semireflective mirror. Should work but of course it creates some maybe unecessary job.. :D

edit: Forget what i just said. :lol:

cheers
Last edited by Likay on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”