S3D on Geforce8 (Update: works with >= 177.79 XP 32)

TheOracle
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: S3D on Geforce8 (Update: works with >= 177.79 XP 32)

Post by TheOracle »

Bo_Fox wrote:
TheOracle wrote:Alright I've tested one game so far, Mercenaries 2. And it works but the 3D effect is not that great. Also for some reason which I cannot figure out yet, the depth adjustment using CTRL+F3 and CTRL+F4 causes the screen to go completely gray.

This does not affect the game or the 3D negatively because it comes back perfectly fine after CTRL+ALT+DEL or the Windows key out to the desktop and back into the game. It's just annoying. CTRL+F5 and CTRL+F6 for convergence work perfectly fine, although the 3D popout is not very impressive.

I played with the Dragon Utility to see what I could change with that, but enabling the StereoRenderTarget(StereoTextureEnable) for Mercs2 causes the game to blue screen my pc. I won't be doing that again.

So far the 3D works well after some fighting with the drivers. Nhancer does a good job of cleaning up any artifacts. I am going to run some more games tonight like Serious Sam HD, Prototype, Fear, and Crysis in order to get a range of what works and what does not.

I forgot to mention earlier that I am running an 8800 GTS 320(G80) and a CRT screen at 640x480x60HZ and Edimensional Glasses W\Dongle. If anyone has a game that they want me to test, and if I have it, I will give it a go.

Yeah, same here, I could not adjust the depth without the screen going gray either (had to alt-tab out then back in).

But a question for you.. are you really gaming with those shutters and that CRT at only 60Hz??? You said that you have a big TV that can do 800x600, but you'd need like at least 100Hz for a reasonable S3D experience. The 3D effect would look more truly 3D if you can do 120Hz minimum on the display. I tried it @ 60Hz by mistake on my CRT and while I could still see things in 3D, the flicker was absolutely horrible and the 3D did not look very good.

Thanks for the heads-up that it still works with the latest Nvidia drivers, in that Nhancer still cleans up the artifacts after 2x1 SSAA is enabled with Oblivion AA compatibility mode. For me, I had to set the resolution @ 1280x800 or higher in order for the artifacts to go away (lower resolutions would still artifact no matter what).
The flickering is not actually as bad as you might think. I'm not sure if its because over the years my eyes have gotten used to it or maybe the distance I am away from it helps, but I barely noticed it. And the 3D effect was noticeable. As I mentioned before this is a very large TV.

Now for the problems. The artifacting was horrible and nothing I did could fix it. No matter what settings I enabled in Nhancer it was always present. Here's the breakdown of some games that I tried.

Mercenaries 2
This one actually had a noticeable 3D effect but I could only control the separation. Nothing else I did worked and because I was unable to control the convergence I could not get the 3D popout effect that I would have liked. Also changing any settings caused the screen to go white or gray, I had to Alt+Tab and then go back into the game to fix it.

There was no artifacting in Mercs 2 at any resolution.

Serious Sam HD
This game has some sort of postprocessing effect that causes horrible artifacting. It seems to be localized right around where the second set of frames diverges, which as you could guess is where the 3D effect comes from. Completely unplayable in 3D.

Prototype
Something about this game doesn't lend itself well to 3D. The biggest problem is that since its a third person game, you have Alex right in the middle of the screen at all times. This can be a headache when trying to get a proper 3D effect. So far as of yet, I had bad artifacting in this game too, and was unable to properly use 3D in it. Same as Mercenaries with the convergence. Unable to achieve popout.

Unreal
The original version, bought off of Steam. This games artifacting was awful and nothing would fix it. Completely unplayable.

Dead Space
Didn't even work as far as I remember, but I recall a long time ago when I tried it there were horrible post processing effects that got in the way. Even with IZ3D you have the same problem as Prototype of it being a third person game and the main character getting in the way. 3D seems to lend itself better to first person perspectives where there is minimal screen blockage.

Overall I had no luck with any game achieving meaningful useful 3D. I even installed different versions of the Nvidia drivers, worked through blue screens, and tweaked and tuned every setting that you could possibly imagine. Maybe its the fact that I can't go any higher than 800x600, but I have no way to test that. I actually had more luck using IZ3D's drivers in interlaced mode, I can even play Mass Effect and Dead space in that.

I had high hopes for this hack, and I spent a good four hours a day for three days trying to figure this out. But my experiments always ended up failing. There is no hope for Nvidia drivers, at least for me, without purchasing their expensive ass glasses. And I'm not going to do it. Right now I'm playing all kinds of games with IZ3D interlaced and it will hold me until they either figure out the shutters algorithm or make a deal that gives all ATI users IZ3D driver support for free. At which point I'm jumping ship.

Sorry guys, I tried.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

hi
i have a working config with XP, crt monitor, edimensional glasses and 7600GT card,
with 162.50 stereo driver.
Problem is that i have two DVI output on the card and 3 display :)
Crt, Tft and a Projector, so i always have to change the cables.
I see a 8400GS card that has three output: vga, dvi and hdmi. Seems perfect to me.
I know that only 2 can be active, but this is not a problem.

Only two question i have:
- the current 162.50 stereo driver will work with 8400GS chip, or do i need any trick, as in #1 post?
- what is the performance difference between 7600GT and 8400GS card in games?
(maybe equal?)

thanks!
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

relaxman wrote:hi
i have a working config with XP, crt monitor, edimensional glasses and 7600GT card,
with 162.50 stereo driver.
Problem is that i have two DVI output on the card and 3 display :)
Crt, Tft and a Projector, so i always have to change the cables.
I see a 8400GS card that has three output: vga, dvi and hdmi. Seems perfect to me.
I know that only 2 can be active, but this is not a problem.

Only two question i have:
- the current 162.50 stereo driver will work with 8400GS chip, or do i need any trick, as in #1 post?
- what is the performance difference between 7600GT and 8400GS card in games?
(maybe equal?)

thanks!
Hi, I don't think it will work with 8400GS. This thread is for G80 chips only which includes 8800 Ultra, 8800GTX, 8800GTS-640, and 8800GTS-320.

About the performance of 8400GS vs 7600GT, check this out: http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards ... -last.html

Anyways, I'm still using 181.00 Forceware drivers right now while playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 in perfect Stereo 3D. Just beat the whole game in 3D. I had to adjust convergence settings until the on-screen display was perfect (the mini-map was converged just right) and amazingly, the 3D convergence was also perfect!

Still wondering about those 196.xx drivers.. if it would still work in S3D...
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

So is this guaranteed to work with ANY 8800GTX Card?? I ask cause I am going to get 2 cards and dont want it NOT too work and be stuck with the 2 cards??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If it works it will work with an 8800gtx. I think you can forget about eventual sli though. Also: The only working option running an 8800gtx with old school drivers seems to be the shutterglassmode. I've tried using my dual projector setup but the projectors flickered like crazy (like they're trying to show a l/r alternating signal).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

I have the ED Shutter glasses will they work?? Why NOT SLI??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I don't think sli is supported by any drivers that runs with the 162.50stereodriver. Of course you can try.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Ahh Silly me but SLI does work in Stereo ;)

I use SLI'd 7950;s now with the 162.50 drivers
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Lol. My memory fails me. :oops: Are you sure that you actually gain more performance in 3d if you compare sli enabled/disabled? I know for sure that people had problems using the 7950gx2 (internal sli'd double gpu card) with 3d-stereo. In this case newer displaydrivers from nvidia might had fixed this.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well If I trick it like for Arma1 you can rename the ArmA.EXE to FEAR.EXE and that will enable SLI config to get it working for example..

I have noticed on a Few games a slight improvement over FPS with SLI enabled then when SLI is Disabled .. ;)
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Greets all

Do you guys think this could work with DVI as well? I mean straight DVI-DVI, not with a DVI-VGA cable...

Pin 7 --> DDC data
Pin 6 --> DDC clock

Maybe if I cut one of those pins or both out... I just don't wan't crappy analog signal and lcd "fine tune" anymore.
I'm gonna try it with an active 3d lcd monitor that has its own IR transmitter built in.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome Innuendo1231!
I have no idea if pinmodding dvi will have the same desired effect and i haven't personally tried myself (running vga when doing old-school stereo-3d).
It shouldn't be too difficult to try. Use an old cable. :mrgreen:
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Oh mighty Likay :mrgreen: , I've been meaning to ask what your projector setup exactly is like. How many, wich model and all. That passive projector hint on your profile got me curious.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Not so mighty ( :oops: ), then i would know if dvi and pinmod work. ;)
The main rig is a 100" linear polarized dual projector setup with Hitachi cp-x260 lcd-projectors. The silverscreen and filters are from former silverfabric.de. One eye-signal for one projector and vice versa.
I'm starting to feel that the rig is a bit ancient right now and i want to upgrade it. Nothing in the stores comes close to it yet and dual projector softwaresupport isn't as good as it has been. Since i always bought hardware that suited my rig i'm kinda in "trouble". I'll most probably build myself a brand new computer either month now but about what to get for stereoviewing is still a questionmark. I'd like to continue using two projectors and would gladly exchange those and the screen for better if i feel that the softwaresupport is relatively steady.
Let's see what happens. I'm hibernating for now. :D
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Likay wrote:I'm starting to feel that the rig is a bit ancient right now and i want to upgrade it. Nothing in the stores comes close to it yet and dual projector softwaresupport isn't as good as it has been. Since i always bought hardware that suited my rig i'm kinda in "trouble". I'll most probably build myself a brand new computer either month now but about what to get for stereoviewing is still a questionmark. I'd like to continue using two projectors and would gladly exchange those and the screen for better if i feel that the softwaresupport is relatively steady.
Let's see what happens. I'm hibernating for now. :D
Why not buy one of those coverting units so you can convert any active 3d signal to the dual projector stuff ?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Of course. But how certain is the support for those?

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”