Dirt3/2 Now With Positional Head Tracking (OpenTrack/FTNoIR)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Dirt3/2 Now With Positional Head Tracking (OpenTrack/FTN

Post by Tankshell »

museumsteve wrote:I'm back trying this again tonight (DiRT 2) and got it working fine..although I am really struggling to drive it which is bizarre because it's one of my favs (so much so that I did it 100% on PC and Xbox) yet I cannot judge speed or corners :s
i've set FOV to 90 and yet cockpits still seem too big and wheel too close. I saw Tankshell mention making changes with F2/F3 but I dont see how the change the cockpit size :S
Yes, by default the cockpits appeared huge to me, but by hitting F3 a bit and adjusting the separation it makes the cockpits appear normal sized. Tricks of the mind I guess when the camera separation is not correct! Try hitting F3 until it becomes uncomfortable to view, then tap F2 a few times to back out a bit, and pay close attention to the "perceived" cockpit size whilst you are doing this... it will definitely change!

It's the same way that adjusting these values will make you feel incredibly short/small in FPS games, or incredibly tall. I got this in Skyrim for example, the same feeling of being too tall/short until I had played with F2/F3 a bit.

For reference, my IPD is 63mm (according to the TF2 calibration tool).

EDIT - I found the Lancia Delta Integrale a good car to do the calibration in. Not sure if this makes a difference.
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Tankshell wrote:
museumsteve wrote:I'm back trying this again tonight (DiRT 2) and got it working fine..although I am really struggling to drive it which is bizarre because it's one of my favs (so much so that I did it 100% on PC and Xbox) yet I cannot judge speed or corners :s
i've set FOV to 90 and yet cockpits still seem too big and wheel too close. I saw Tankshell mention making changes with F2/F3 but I dont see how the change the cockpit size :S
Yes, by default the cockpits appeared huge to me, but by hitting F3 a bit and adjusting the separation it makes the cockpits appear normal sized. Tricks of the mind I guess when the camera separation is not correct! Try hitting F3 until it becomes uncomfortable to view, then tap F2 a few times to back out a bit, and pay close attention to the "perceived" cockpit size whilst you are doing this... it will definitely change!

It's the same way that adjusting these values will make you feel incredibly short/small in FPS games, or incredibly tall. I got this in Skyrim for example, the same feeling of being too tall/short until I had played with F2/F3 a bit.

For reference, my IPD is 63mm (according to the TF2 calibration tool).

EDIT - I found the Lancia Delta Integrale a good car to do the calibration in. Not sure if this makes a difference.
Thanks mate :)
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Tankshell wrote:Thanks everybody involved. I have just played a few hours of Dirt 3 with Vireio, full stereoscopic 3D, full 6DOF headtracking, 60fps+ (vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings), at 1080p which is then mirrored to the Rift control box which is doing its own downsampling/downscaling to provide some 'poor mans' anti-aliasing. My mind = blown. This is totally amazing. The RallyCross events are some of the best in VR, due to their tight track layouts and other cars on the track at the same time. Just awesome.

I had to play around with the F2/F3 seperation quite a bit to get the car interiors feeling the right size (even after applying the 90 FOV patches to all the cars). To start off with it felt like I was sitting in a cave they were so large! Anyway, they feel nice and tight now, about the right size for a small rally car, which makes all the difference. The positional tracking with the Hydras is just the icing on the cake. I also had to turn shadows down to the lowest setting to get them to stop flickering, but I am ok with this, it still looks great.

Thanks again. Must play moaaaaaaaaaarr. :woot

EDIT - I am also playing with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, using a Wheel Stand Pro (http://www.wheelstandpro.com/). It all just feels so great.
I'm confused...how is it you can have stereo3d with virieo + dirt while nothing points to the fact that virieo and dirt is actually doing left and right instead of doing the alternate frame method...
resulting in a sort of temporal stereo which is basically a weird sort of mono.

Am i missing something...IS dirt working in real stereo by now (by which i mean the Z buffer trick performed on 1 image 2 times for both eyes)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Mattijs wrote:I'm confused...how is it you can have stereo3d with virieo + dirt while nothing points to the fact that virieo and dirt is actually doing left and right instead of doing the alternate frame method...
resulting in a sort of temporal stereo which is basically a weird sort of mono.
Alternate frame rendering and correct left and right images are not mutually exclusive. However, alternate frame rendering does produce extra artifacts due to the temporal difference. These artifacts get more and more apparent the lower your frame rate gets.
Mattijs wrote:Am i missing something...IS dirt working in real stereo by now (by which i mean the Z buffer trick performed on 1 image 2 times for both eyes)
Z-buffer based 3D is one method of generating Stereo images. It is not the only one. The released version of Vireio generates its stereo images by rendering each eye from a different position.

I don't know if Dirt or Dirt 2 works but Dirt 3 appears to. The video on the first page is in 3D.

I don't have Dirt 3 installed to take a screenshot, but below are some screenshots of F1 2010 which uses a slightly older version of the Ego engine (same engine as Dirt 3). I've taken them in side by side because it makes the difference more obvious. Also note that these images don't mean F1 2010 is fully functional, there are problems in the cockpit view in it.

In the first I massively over exaggerate the difference in position between the eyes. This just shows that the view point is different for each eye. Don't try and parallel view the image, it'll just give you a headache because I've blown the separation out so far.

The second one has more reasonable separation value and you should be able to see the 3D effect if you parallel view it.

Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

AAH NICE..i thought virieo was solely Z-buffer...which in itself isn't even that bad but i thought added to that it also always used alternate frames in time to produce left , right, left etc... So now it's basically replacing the need for 3th party 'real' stereo drivers all together?

Why is there still the 30fps cap? If you combine alternate frames as a left and a right i can see you half your vsynced output...but why is it still there then?
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

BTW as far as i'm concerned...i've got perfect depth perception..but i've never managed to do parallel viewing stuff or the weird pattern 3d from 'those books' and the magic carpet game.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Mattijs wrote:Why is there still the 30fps cap? If you combine alternate frames as a left and a right i can see you half your vsynced output...but why is it still there then?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but...

You can turn v-sync off in games if you want and you'll get a per eye fps of 50% of whatever framerate your computer can manage normally. If you want v-sync on then 30fps per eye is what you're going to get at the moment (rendering alternate frames at a total of 60fps as you said).

'Fixing' this so both eyes get rendered every frame is pretty complicated. It's being worked on but it is significantly more complicated than rendering to alternate frames and there are still quite a few kinks to work out before it is ready.
Oneironaut21
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oneironaut21 »

I was very successful in getting Euro Truck Simulator 2 working on the Rift using the profiles from this thread and just changing the game and exe names.

The only issue is that the on-screen GPSis completely unreadable in the Rift, and you have to hit level 12 before you can upgrade your cab to have a GPS on the dashboard. Hitting level 12 takes about 10 hours of play.
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

this works incredibly well. surprised it is not mentioned more here as the stereo is excellent and the head tracking pretty darn good.

Only thing I couldn't get working was the Hydra. OpenTrack picks up the movement and after placing the hydra on the nogin and resetting with End I still gt no positional tracking in the car. Any ideas?

Other than that, its a night of racing for me!
wooolfy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wooolfy »

Ok i tried almost everything. It just doesn't work for me :-/ I bought Dirt 3 in Steam. Started Vireio Perception Drivers and OpenTrack with Hydra and Oculus support.
Dirt starts, only 2D. Tracking in Cockpit works. (And i added the profile settings for Dirt 3 in the config file)

Next thing i tried is downloading the skidrow cracked version to be able to start Dirt without Steam. Opened the executable. Still 2D.

Then i copied the Perception dlls to the game folder. Still 2d.

I removed the 2nd Profile of Dirt 3 in the config file because i read that 2 profiles for one game can cause problems... Still 2D.

Please help i don't know what to do...

PS: Vireio Perception works fine for me when i start Portal 2 out of Steam. So i don't know why just Dirt 3 is the Problem?!?
BWT: I use Win 8
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

wooolfy wrote:Ok i tried almost everything. It just doesn't work for me :-/ I bought Dirt 3 in Steam. Started Vireio Perception Drivers and OpenTrack with Hydra and Oculus support.
Dirt starts, only 2D. Tracking in Cockpit works. (And i added the profile settings for Dirt 3 in the config file)

Next thing i tried is downloading the skidrow cracked version to be able to start Dirt without Steam. Opened the executable. Still 2D.

Then i copied the Perception dlls to the game folder. Still 2d.

I removed the 2nd Profile of Dirt 3 in the config file because i read that 2 profiles for one game can cause problems... Still 2D.

Please help i don't know what to do...

PS: Vireio Perception works fine for me when i start Portal 2 out of Steam. So i don't know why just Dirt 3 is the Problem?!?
BWT: I use Win 8

silly questions but you did update the Perception config file to include Dirt3, right?
wooolfy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wooolfy »

ah ok solved: had to edit the dirt 3 config file in the documents folder to force dx9 and run both perception dirvers and dirt with administrator rights... ;-)
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Glad you got it working.

There's an updated version available now at
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

This fixes the mouse emulation issue (not relevant for Dirt2/3), and adds the Razer Hydra as a separate tracker. If you set them as Tracker 1 and Tracker 2 and uncheck the Rotation options on the Hydra you can use it for position and the Rift for rotation. Make sure the Rift is centred when you press the centreing key for the position because currently they are linked and it will garble the orientation a bit if you are off centre and press the centre hotkey.

Similarly Razer Hydra orientation works, but doing a centering operation to use it at a weird angle will not work. I'm working on this but the current code is a bit hairy that is supposed to deal with this.

In summary there is still yaw drift, and using the recenter hotkey will accumulate gimbal lock (getting roll/pitch axes mixed together) so I have a bit of work to do still, but it's getting there slowly. I'll keep you updated.

I did discover that mode 600 does NOT work with GRiD, so keep it as whatever mode it was originally. Mode 600 works fine in races, but the menu doesn't render, making it pretty akward to say the least! I own F1 2012 but haven't tried it out with virieo yet, I hear it doesn't work so I'll see what I can do about that when I get time.
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

does this work with dirt showdown?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I don't see why not, but since i hate the gymkana stuff i don't own it. Why don't you try it and let us know?
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Nevermind, got it, need to use the specific opentrack driver
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

mm0zct wrote:I own F1 2012 but haven't tried it out with virieo yet, I hear it doesn't work so I'll see what I can do about that when I get time.
As far as i know F1 2012 is DX11 only, hence it wont work, i did redownload F1 2010 last night, will give it a whirl tonight. F1 would really be suited to using the hydra for positional tracking with the open cockpit, great work btw.

I can confrim that F1 2010 works if you set the game to forced DX9( i mean in 3D with no corruption, im still trying to get head tracking working ), and the game type to 600, i.e.
<profile game_name="f1_2010" game_exe="F1_2010_game.exe" game_type="600" separation="0.00014" convergence="0" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Also F1 2012 os DX10/DX11 only which is why it wont work.
Alesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alesh »

Just curious. Did anyone manage to get Dirt 2/3 working with a DIY rift? What if you're using a different head rotation tracker like Hydra or YEI 3-space tracker? Still doable?
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Damn it...can't get either to work.
Forced to DX9 check
Tracking in cockpit working check (at least for dirt3, dirt 2 wont run past movies)
virieo on rift and no tracking.
Run as admin check (needed?)

Dirt 2 shows 2 images like it should but sadly once the intro movies are done the first times everything was black and stayed black.
After that and much more trying i saw flickering squares. Black and yellow...4 for each eye + they weren't warped anymore like the intros.

Dirt 3 just does not show any sign of SBS...I added <profile game_name="DiRT 3" game_exe="dirt3_game.exe" game_type="601" separation="0.00344" convergence="5.5236" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />
to virieo xml which i put on READ ONLY just to be sure

Anyone any idea?
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Mattijs wrote:Damn it...can't get either to work.
Forced to DX9 check
Tracking in cockpit working check (at least for dirt3, dirt 2 wont run past movies)

Dirt 2 shows 2 images like it should but sadly once the intro movies are done the first times everything was black and stayed black.
After that and much more trying i saw flickering squares. Black and yellow...4 for each eye + they weren't warped anymore like the intros.

Dirt 3 just does not show any sign of SBS...I added <profile game_name="DiRT 3" game_exe="dirt3_game.exe" game_type="601" separation="0.00344" convergence="5.5236" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Anyone any idea?
For Dirt 3 copy the dll's from the Verio folder into the game folder, i.e. hijackdll.dll, d3d9.dll, libfreespace.dll, then launch Verio, then launch the game.
Mozzie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mozzie »

lmimmfn wrote:
Mattijs wrote:Damn it...can't get either to work.
Forced to DX9 check

Anyone any idea?
For Dirt 3 copy the dll's from the Verio folder into the game folder, i.e. hijackdll.dll, d3d9.dll, libfreespace.dll, then launch Verio, then launch the game.
Hi all, first post here.

I have had the same issues as Mattijs. I have also copied the above 3 dll files into the (steam\steamapps\common\Dirt3) folder & have tried running both perception driver & dirt3 with Admin rights and still I cannot get the SBS warped image. Tracking seems to be working fine once I'm in game. It's driving me nuts, as I cannot think of anything else that I can do. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

I don't understand why people are having issues getting this to work. It worked first time for me, I didn't even need to copy any dll's into the Dirt 2/3 folder. I just run Vireio standalone .exe as with most games and it works a charm.
Tankshell
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Mozzie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mozzie »

Tankshell wrote:I don't understand why people are having issues getting this to work. It worked first time for me, I didn't even need to copy any dll's into the Dirt 2/3 folder. I just run Vireio standalone .exe as with most games and it works a charm.
Hi Tankshell,

I would like to ask if you are running your games through steam? Also, what version of Perception drivers are you using? I am able to get the SBS warped image with Dirt 2 using the original perception drivers 1.04. However, it's really unstable and crashes a lot. I really cannot wrap my head around this.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Mozzie wrote:
Tankshell wrote:I don't understand why people are having issues getting this to work. It worked first time for me, I didn't even need to copy any dll's into the Dirt 2/3 folder. I just run Vireio standalone .exe as with most games and it works a charm.
Hi Tankshell,

I would like to ask if you are running your games through steam? Also, what version of Perception drivers are you using? I am able to get the SBS warped image with Dirt 2 using the original perception drivers 1.04. However, it's really unstable and crashes a lot. I really cannot wrap my head around this.
Yes I launch my games through Steam. I use the latest build of Vireio found in the OP of the development thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=17069

Which is currently at time of writing: "Perception D3D proxy 1.zip" here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=2721
Tankshell
Mozzie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mozzie »

Tankshell wrote:
Mozzie wrote:
Hi Tankshell,

Yes I launch my games through Steam. I use the latest build of Vireio found in the OP of the development thread: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=17069

Which is currently at time of writing: "Perception D3D proxy 1.zip" here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=2721
Thanks for the replies,
I had already tried Beta D3D drivers without any success, it just doesn't seem to hook into DIrt2/3. It's quite strange.
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

I'm having the same type of problems...I can't get Vireio to work with anything yet :(

edit - BTW, yes, I did set the DiRT2/3 config XML to force DX9 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxJgEhyfH8
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Could those of you for who it doesn't work please post more detailed system specs? Specifically OS versions and architecture (there are various versions of win7 in 32 and 64bit variants), directx version (dxdiag will tell you) and graphics drivers?
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

mm0zct wrote:Could those of you for who it doesn't work please post more detailed system specs? Specifically OS versions and architecture (there are various versions of win7 in 32 and 64bit variants), directx version (dxdiag will tell you) and graphics drivers?
Sure, I'm running the following:

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
nVidia 580 GTX on Forceware 320.49 (9.18.13.2049)
DX 6.01.7601.17514
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

hey guys...i've got the four eyes problem too...never got the previous drivers working but that's because i hadn't copied the .dll.
The new drivers work for both dirt2 AND dirt3 BUT both games have four displays instead of two, one per eye.

It ISN'T because i have added anything in the profiles xml...it's the standard xml which just has one entry per game.
That does state both game_name and game_exe...but i think that's hhow they all are right.
The double xml entrie problem has to do with the user adding a dirt profile from for example the one on reddit....right?

I am so close to playing my favorite games...it's not even funny...especially now they have the alternate frame thing sorted..AAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Mattijs wrote:hey guys...i've got the four eyes problem too...never got the previous drivers working but that's because i hadn't copied the .dll.
The new drivers work for both dirt2 AND dirt3 BUT both games have four displays instead of two, one per eye.

It ISN'T because i have added anything in the profiles xml...it's the standard xml which just has one entry per game.
That does state both game_name and game_exe...but i think that's hhow they all are right.
The double xml entrie problem has to do with the user adding a dirt profile from for example the one on reddit....right?

I am so close to playing my favorite games...it's not even funny...especially now they have the alternate frame thing sorted..AAAAAAAAHHHHHH

made a thread to get this solved...apparently it's a double hook to be removed by either removing the dll's.
I'll test it tonight...really looking forward to it...although i really haven't got my vr legs yet and just had a car crash and have been feeling generally nauseous
for the past four days :( which really isn't helping.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

For those of you wanting to play with DIY Rifts this is just a case of getting a working tracker input to OpenTrack.

The newest version has a Hydra tracker but rotation centering is not currently correct (the same way Rift centering isn't) but I'm working on this slowly. There also is some noise about the hillcrest tracker but nobody doing the Opentrack development actually has one. If you have a hillcrest tracker and want support then get in touch with me and I'll see about putting together a plugin.

The PointIR tracker in Opentrack should work if you stick a few LEDs on your (DIY)Rift so you could perhaps try that too.
cyberm4d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyberm4d »

Tankshell wrote:Thanks everybody involved. I have just played a few hours of Dirt 3 with Vireio, full stereoscopic 3D, full 6DOF headtracking, 60fps+ (vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings), at 1080p which is then mirrored to the Rift control box which is doing its own downsampling/downscaling to provide some 'poor mans' anti-aliasing. My mind = blown. This is totally amazing. The RallyCross events are some of the best in VR, due to their tight track layouts and other cars on the track at the same time. Just awesome.

I had to play around with the F2/F3 seperation quite a bit to get the car interiors feeling the right size (even after applying the 90 FOV patches to all the cars). To start off with it felt like I was sitting in a cave they were so large! Anyway, they feel nice and tight now, about the right size for a small rally car, which makes all the difference. The positional tracking with the Hydras is just the icing on the cake. I also had to turn shadows down to the lowest setting to get them to stop flickering, but I am ok with this, it still looks great.

Thanks again. Must play moaaaaaaaaaarr. :woot

EDIT - I am also playing with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, using a Wheel Stand Pro (http://www.wheelstandpro.com/). It all just feels so great.
Hi Tankshell,
I'm pretty new with virieo and converting games setting to make them work. I've followed all the instructions on this post, and I've got the game working, with 3d slitted on 2 screen on vertical and the tracking for the rotation is working correctly with the cockpit view. The only problem i have right now is that the distance between my left and right picture for the stereoscopic views are not aligned properly for the oculus. On my pc monitor it looks ok, but on the oculus it's a total headache. If I understand correctly, the solution to fix that issue is using F2/F3 wich will change the separation in virieo, but the shortcut keys are not doing anything, just like if they are nor working at all. I've tried F2/F3 inside the game and directly in virieo with the game in windowed mode, and it's simply not working. Any tip on how I can solve this problem ? Thanks :)
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Which version of Virieo are you using? I think you still need to use the old version which doesn't render both views simultaneously.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

New version of opentrack finally has working magnetic correction https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

If you have the previous version you _should_ be able to just replace the tracker plugin files here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... racker.zip instead of re-downloading the whole thing.

When you start the tracker just point the headset in 4 different directions and it will work itself out, let me know how you get on!

Edit: I may have spoken too soon, the sensor fusion reports that magnetic correction has completed calibration but i can still force it to drift by doing the rotate and scoop action... any ideas are welcome before i implement an auto drift-to-centre on the yaw (good enough for most cockpit sims i would assume).

Here is a version of the rift tracker that will gradually drift to centre, this will stop your cockpit sim from drifting off so long as you don't want to spend the whole game at 90 degrees. Best for racing I think. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... centre.zip

This works by providing a very weak spring function (ie more correction the further away) pluus a constant drift towards 0 term which is disabled within a 1 degree deadzone of centre.
NETrom1970
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NETrom1970 »

Can't seem to get this separation to work in the profile file. It doesn't matter what value i give it, it always give me two pictures in my rift. "one in each eye"
I have tried F1-F2 and i can see its getting a little better but that would take me 30min or so to get it right.

I can ofcourse just drive with one eye closed ;)

What are im missing?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Are you using the new version of vireio or the older beta (1.5?)? Also I think holding shift makes the keys work in larger increments so you can get the separation fixed that way.
NETrom1970
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NETrom1970 »

Im using Vireio Perception 1.1.0 from http://www.vireio.com/

Ill try again with the shift key this time.

EDIT: got it working. Used the GRID config. :D
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Just a heads up in case you haven't notice the post on the Rift forum that OpenTrack has updated to use the 0.2.5 SDK and no longer suffers from drift! :)

See the post here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18781

Return to “Development / General Discussion”