Skyrim and Vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Skyrim and Vireio

Post by gray »

JamesMccrae wrote: Try the college when you get a chance. The 3d effects are always stunning there when I play in 3d on my projector, I bet its amazing on the rift.
The college is pretty, although snowflakes don't seem to have the correct depth they're all super close. I'm not running ENB just yet, wanted to get vanilla working. Next step is ENB & I'll have to try the Helix mod too.

My setup needs a bit of tweaking though as when I'm looking down the floor is coming out of my waist :D (convergence or character height? I'm 6'3" IRL). Also, yaw movements seem to have an accompanying rotational swaying which is very hard to stomach. Anyone else encountered this? Bit weird having hands come out of your chin too :lol:

Should also mention, no crashes at all with this setup so far.
DrussNL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DrussNL »

Not sure if you guys know about this, but this mod should solve any and all HUD problems you have with Skyrim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrExHut9Lmg
Skyrim Mod Feature: Less Intrusive HUD II by insane0hflex
Ardhal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardhal »

Yeah that's a great looking mod. I fully intend to manipulate the interface to perfection with it once I have my rift :D
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

This looks very promising.

How about the game menus? That's the biggest kicker for me. I wonder if we could mix this with the skyrim.ini safezone settings for the menus, and use this to compensate...

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

I can't get the mod to work. I have a numpad, but for whatever reason, I can't get into the MOD's menu system.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Got the mod to work!

What about game menus; does it handle that too?

Regards,
Neil
Ardhal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardhal »

I have no idea, sorry man. You can try the comments page on the nexus, that usually has all the answers if you can't find out from the mod itself?

To be clear here, by menus you mean the perk and map screens? I'm pretty sure the safezone changes affect inventory and spell lists. I know it affects the mainmenu, too.
morgg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by morgg »

Is there any way of disabling Yaxis mouse movement (like in Tuscany demo)?

This way the horizon would be always aligned with the real world.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This mod is pretty good, but it forces you to use a different menu/item UI that really makes things difficult. If there was a way to adjust the menus and/or use the old version with the safe screen controls, that would be better.

Regards,
Neil
Ardhal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardhal »

So the safezone .ini settings don't work with the mod? Lame.

I think if you're using a controler like the hydra or an xbox controler with xpadder or something, you can probably disable Y movement but simply binding it like that. Would that stop roll?
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Almost there, game is looking great now. I have disabled shadows completely via;

SkyrimPrefs.ini;
fShadowDistance=0.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000

Also applied this mod to enable the correct depth for UI (currently running preset 40), only issue is if there is an overlapping object that has significantly different depth to the UI will make it very difficult to focus on the UI. This could probably be fixed by a border around the text to make it more substantial. This was also supposed to fix the Skybox but it doesn't seem to have worked yet;

3D Vision Complete Compatibility Project v2_3
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9718#

3D is perfectly calibrated and looking as good as Tuscany (had some fun with making my head the same size as a room!), almost zero motion sickness now. Player height is still off, seems around 5ft high so the floor is above my knees IRL. Attempted to change via console but it only works in 3rd person. I'll be giving this mod a go at some point to see if it helps;

Player Size Adjuster and First Person Camera Height Fix
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32155
Ardhal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardhal »

Very good to hear! It really does seem like disabling shadows could be the best way to make Skyrim work. Gives those extra FPS too :P
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

Ardhal, i m not a dev and not skilled to modified .ini files.
Do you think it s possible to have a mod who do all the modification you do ?
I DL skyrim, install your mod and play.
Do you think it will be possible ?
Ardhal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardhal »

Hmm well all you need to do is open a text document and type or remove some numbers :P. It's no where near as hard as it sounds. That said, it would be pretty easy for someone with a nice .ini config setup to upload that file for you to download. Or even just copy/paste would work.

Edit:
I should clarify, I haven't got shadows disabled on my rig. I don't have a rift yet so I'm waiting till it comes to be sure about some things.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

About HUD, did someone try this one (skse required):
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33482
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

thank ardhal i will ask when i ll got my rift
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

I up this post because I want to know if there is any improvement for skyrim this day.
Anybody have info ?
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

norgoth wrote:I up this post because I want to know if there is any improvement for skyrim this day.
Anybody have info ?
It's running great for me, I've yet to try fixing the UI via existing mods though as I need to go through a full reinstall which is a pain. I'll be trying it at some point but they look like they'll resolve the problem of offscreen/small text (combined with earlier mentioned UI 3d depth mod).
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

This would Make a GREAT youtube tutorial...
JamesMccrae wrote::woot I have been playing Skyrim on the Rift using Vireio. Amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing! Very playable! I am super impressed at how well it works!

To Cybereality, baristan6, and whoever else had a hand in it, you guys are AWESOME. This is soooo good... Thanks to you guys a lot less work is getting done, but I couldn't be happier! :mrgreen:

I read some previous posts - I didn't have to copy any dll's around. For me, setup was simple:

1) Download the Vireio perception (the new one "beta 12" that has Oculus Rift and Tracker support, http://vire.io/download/ )
2) Edit the /My Games/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs.ini, zeroing out anywhere and setting false any entry that mentions shadows :)
3) In game, console using ~, "fov 110"
4) Set the mouse sensitivity under "Gameplay" - somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 seems OK for me

(Edit) Tried the UI settings previously mentioned in this thread for the UI, the left menu is not visible and that is an issue, so after a process like gradient descent not knowing what effect the parameters would have, I reached something workable that is actually a huge improvement in usability! You can see the inventory menus properly now, and damage and weight of items, but value is still hard to see. Also the compass is in view, but still to the periphery - with the 150 settings it was too much in the centre for my taste, which takes away from the immersion a bit):

5) Edit the /My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini file and appending:

[Interface]
fSafeZoneX=0
fSafeZoneY=0
fSafeZoneXWide=250
fSafeZoneYWide=80

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING... Tempted to load up on all the DLC for an even newer experience :) I used to play Skyrim using nVidias 3D Vision kit :shutter with the 120hz monitor as close to my face as possible, but this is on another level

Enjoy a new world adventurer! :woot
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

So is there a single install guide to rule them all somewhere that includes recommended mods, config changes, and enb setup?
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

I have found no working guide to get Skyrim playing acceptably with the Rift. Maybe no one really has. Or maybe they have and they've disappeared into it. :D

I can't even get the shadows to turn off by editing my SkyrimPerfs.ini...

HELP!!!
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

rmcclelland wrote:I have found no working guide to get Skyrim playing acceptably with the Rift. Maybe no one really has. Or maybe they have and they've disappeared into it. :D

I can't even get the shadows to turn off by editing my SkyrimPerfs.ini...

HELP!!!
If you edit your skyrimprefs.ini and turn the shadows to 0 then you cannot change your graphical seetings through the skyrim launcher or it will revert back your changes. Does that help at all?

Also to help with the in game menu put this in your skyrim.ini folder

[Interface]
fSafeZoneX=0
fSafeZoneY=0
fSafeZoneXWide=250
fSafeZoneYWide=80

That will help to center your ingame menus.

Anything else?
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Wondering why this thread isn't that active. Is it because many people still do not have their rifts? Or does Skyrim not work that well?

I know there is a problem with the shadows but I was wondering if there was anything else. Seemed like all people could talk about was

playing Skyrim on the Rift when they finally got it. Now it seems a little quiet.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Maybe everyone is busy playing Skyrim : p
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

virror wrote:Maybe everyone is busy playing Skyrim : p
Haha yes! That is what I'm hoping!
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Teeks419 wrote:Wondering why this thread isn't that active. Is it because many people still do not have their rifts? Or does Skyrim not work that well?

I know there is a problem with the shadows but I was wondering if there was anything else. Seemed like all people could talk about was

playing Skyrim on the Rift when they finally got it. Now it seems a little quiet.
Probably not an active thread since it is not in the Oculus Rift forum. I just think that no one really has it working great.

I can't seem to get shadows to go away no matter what I do.
Neil

Post by Neil »

rmcclelland wrote:
Teeks419 wrote:Wondering why this thread isn't that active. Is it because many people still do not have their rifts? Or does Skyrim not work that well?

Probably not an active thread since it is not in the Oculus Rift forum. I just think that no one really has it working great.

I can't seem to get shadows to go away no matter what I do.

Did you follow the shadow removal instructions in the Vireio Perception readme file? That worked for me, though you have to come to terms with actually getting rid of shadows altogether.

Are you using an Nvidia GPU? I'm taking an educated guess, but AMD users may not have this problem because with the DDD drivers, shadows are fine on AMD, but problematic with Nvidia. Something to try if you can. Skyrim changed the way they handled shadows during one of their updates a few months ago which has been problematic.

Regards,
Neil
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Yes, I followed these with a fresh install: http://vire.io/game/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/
NVidia 670 (I was using 3D Vision with a beamer) latest drivers
bDeferredShadows did not exist in my SkyrimPrefs.ini

Do you have Skyrim working well? Proper optics and tracking?
Neil

Post by Neil »

rmcclelland wrote:Yes, I followed these with a fresh install: http://vire.io/game/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

Works for me without a hitch. Have you disabled the Nvidia stereoscopic 3D drivers?

Regards,
Neil
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Yup. Maybe I'll try re-installing.
Neil

Post by Neil »

rmcclelland wrote:Yes, I followed these with a fresh install: http://vire.io/game/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

Your specs are very close to mine. I have a 670 on my 3D notebook computer. Are you running in clone or extended mode? I use clone mode.

Did you add bDeferredShadows? If it's not there, add it.

Regards,
Neil
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

gray wrote:Almost there, game is looking great now. I have disabled shadows completely via;

SkyrimPrefs.ini;
fShadowDistance=0.0000

Also applied this mod to enable the correct depth for UI (currently running preset 40), only issue is if there is an overlapping object that has significantly different depth to the UI will make it very difficult to focus on the UI. This could probably be fixed by a border around the text to make it more substantial. This was also supposed to fix the Skybox but it doesn't seem to have worked yet;

3D is perfectly calibrated and looking as good as Tuscany (had some fun with making my head the same size as a room!), almost zero motion sickness now. Player height is still off, seems around 5ft high so the floor is above my knees IRL. Attempted to change via console but it only works in 3rd person. I'll be giving this mod a go at some point to see if it helps;

Hallo Gray,

how do you got the 3DVision Mod running with verio ? - I was not succesful ...

I disabled all shadows too, but in some places e.g. dungeons i still find some shadows ...

best regards
FR3D
best regards FR3D
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

FR3D wrote:
gray wrote:Almost there, game is looking great now. I have disabled shadows completely via;

SkyrimPrefs.ini;
fShadowDistance=0.0000

Hallo Gray,

how do you got the 3DVision Mod running with verio ? - I was not succesful ...

I disabled all shadows too, but in some places e.g. dungeons i still find some shadows ...

best regards
FR3D
Yes, I am also struggling to get this working in conjunction with Perception... any tips?
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

You might want to look over at the Skyrim+Enb post on this forum. They explain how to set up a proxy .dll. I think that might be what you have to do to get this 3d fix working. I tried to set up a proxy with Skyrim for another program and couldn't figure it out. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

Btw I haven't heard of many 3d problems with Skyrim except for the sky. If thats why your trying to do check out this mod. It doesn't modify the .dll
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9718/ - check the optional files and dowload the skybox mesh mod. That might atleast help with the sky.

Let me know if this helped. I'm hoping these problems can be fixed here because I can't ever see bethesda throwing in official support for the rift.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Thanks Teeks419.

The main problems I have with Skyrim currently are:
  • skybox (clouds etc) appears closer then the tops of trees/buildings
  • when i look at water, I get a weird buzzing noise and it flickers white
  • the refraction of the water on the river beds looks wrong/too close
  • my characters arms look GIANT when I draw a weapon, and generally swinging the blade and fighting up close enemies is uncomfortable to look at
  • lots of objects/animals seem to be jerky/jumping and sometimes I see them floating high up in the sky!
If I could nail these issues, it would almost be the perfect experience (forgetting the UI issues for now).

If anyone knows how to fix these issues I would be greatful.

FYI, I am using a clean install of latest Skyrim, no ENB, purely stock everything.
Tankshell
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

gray wrote: 3D Vision Complete Compatibility Project v2_3
Seems to be for NVIDIA 3DVision drivers only !
and seems to be NOT compatible with VIREIO

http://helixmod.wikispot.org/FAQ

best regards

FR3D
best regards FR3D
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Tankshell wrote:Thanks Teeks419.

• my characters arms look GIANT when I draw a weapon, and generally swinging the blade and fighting up close enemies is uncomfortable to look at
  • lots of objects/animals seem to be jerky/jumping and sometimes I see them floating high up in the sky!
If I could nail these issues, it would almost be the perfect experience (forgetting the UI issues for now).

FYI, I am using a clean install of latest Skyrim, no ENB, purely stock everything.
I don't have my rift yet so I'm not sure what the clouds look like but I can tell something is a little off just by looking at it cross-eyed. Did you try downloading and installing that mesh? It might help.

Not sure if its the same thing but whenever my framerate goes above 60(or 120 with verieo) I get some of that crazy item behavior inside and get the flashing water outside. What you have to do to fix it is limit your framerate to under 120. The easiest way is to make sure you have vsync on. If that doesn't work you can try a program like MSI Afterburner...http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm It's fairly simple to use if you can't figure it out just let me know. Vereio is kind of strange because your framerate is split between the two frames. So if your running at 60 fps you're really running at 30, so that's why I would limit it to around 115 if you can.

For some reason the fov resets sometimes in the game. If your weapon seems really close just re-enter "fov 110" into the console. Should help a little.

The other things I'm not really sure about. Limiting your framerate should help with flying animals a little bit. Though that's also just another ridiculous glitch that's a part of vanilla skyrim.
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

One more thing, if you get vsync working it will basically be running skyrim at 30 fps for each eye. This isn't really optimal, but it's a fair trade off for those crazy glitches. I'm just not sure how playable 30 fps is with the rift since I can't test it out right now.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Teeks419 wrote:
Tankshell wrote:Thanks Teeks419.

I don't have my rift yet so I'm not sure what the clouds look like but I can tell something is a little off just by looking at it cross-eyed. Did you try downloading and installing that mesh? It might help.

Not sure if its the same thing but whenever my framerate goes above 60(or 120 with verieo) I get some of that crazy item behavior inside and get the flashing water outside. What you have to do to fix it is limit your framerate to under 120. The easiest way is to make sure you have vsync on. If that doesn't work you can try a program like MSI Afterburner...http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm It's fairly simple to use if you can't figure it out just let me know. Vereio is kind of strange because your framerate is split between the two frames. So if your running at 60 fps you're really running at 30, so that's why I would limit it to around 115 if you can.

For some reason the fov resets sometimes in the game. If your weapon seems really close just re-enter "fov 110" into the console. Should help a little.

The other things I'm not really sure about. Limiting your framerate should help with flying animals a little bit. Though that's also just another ridiculous glitch that's a part of vanilla skyrim.
@Teeks Thanks for your advice. I have found that the only way to avoid the vsync issues with Vireio is to use Nvidia Inspector to force a max framerate limit of 55fps. I tried 59 and 60, but these seem to be too close to the boundary that causes the bizarre vsync related glictches with the water and animals and phsyics.

I'm not sure if you are correct about the "So if your running at 60 fps you're really running at 30" part. I first tried limiting to 115fps, but this still gave me all the same vsync issues. I then tried dropping the limit down to 55, which still looks basically as smooth as 60fps to me (and I can instantly tell normally in most games when I am not getting near to 60fps+), but gets rid of all the strange issues. So I'm happy with this. Thanks for the advice that lead me down this path =0)

I still have issues with the "giant arms", my fov is set correctly to 110, and it is instantly noticeable when it isn't, because everything is zoomed in too much. I think it must be a different issue. I googled for it and did infact find other people with the same issue when running the game in 3D, but nobody seems to have a solution.

I also still have the water refraction issue.

I will try the skybox fix you linked to now and report back, hopefully that might fix this particular issue.
Tankshell
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Good to hear some of the fixes worked. Yea the framerate with vireio is really weird. Sometimes I have to set it high and sometimes low. Sometimes it splits the framerate and sometimes I'm just not sure.

Not sure about the water though. Perhaps messing with the water reflections in the options in the launcher?

It seems like the biggest problem with skyrim must be that we have to turn off shadows. It's a bummer especially when you get some really great moody, shadowy areas from great lighting mods. Hope someone can find a fix for this one day.

Strange with the arms because mine seem to really shrink and get stretched out when I change the fov. Then again I can't see what your seeing in the rift so I can't tell what's to big or not.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”