XpanD X103 Active Universal 3D Glasses

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
jaden
One Eyed Hopeful

XpanD X103 Active Universal 3D Glasses

Post by jaden »

Just curious, these XpanD X103 glasses claim to offer a better 3D experience. Has anyone used these before or should I stick with the glasses that I picked up with my TV? I'm not sure if glasses make that much of a difference or if it's the display, I currently use Sony TDG-BR250/B on my NX720
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: XpanD X103 Active Universal 3D Glasses

Post by cybereality »

I haven't tried the Xpand glasses, but the Sony ones used on the Bravia line are probably the best I've seen. Can't imagine the Xpands are much better, or even better at all.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: XpanD X103 Active Universal 3D Glasses

Post by Guig2000 »

Be aware that xpand family glasses suffer from their compatibility with the VESA 3D sync port.
The VESA 3D sync port and the X103 glasses have only two state: "right on/left off" and "right off left on". So it means that they cannot simultaneously stop light on right and left side.
It is not a problem with real fast switching display like DLP (retro)projectors and the glasses will works very fine with them if you are able to synchronize them (X103 are not DLP link compatible, you'll need to plug an IR emitter onto the projector).
The problem with quite all other type of displays is that thee cannot switch instantly from a picture to another: there is afterglow, the pictures displayed persist over the next pictures. This is the main cause of "ghosting" called "crosstalk" on 3D screens using shutters glasses.
In order to reduct this ghosting, it is important that the both eyes of 3D spectator does not receive light from the 3D display until a new picture displayed is a minimum stabilized (so in between two pictures). There is two ways to do that: close simultaneously the two sides of the glasses, that X103 cannot do (it will result on more ghosted but also more enlighten 3D) or shut off the black-light of the screen. In this last case the X103 should works fine but maybe a little bit more flickering could appear than with the original glasses.

I don't think that 3D plasmas screens use this kind of method because they are not capable to light up enough and also because their "pixel on" response time is near 0ms and "pixel off" in as fast as best LCDs. So X103 should works as fine as original glasses with plasmas.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”