Tom's hardware.com "Are 3D Movie Theaters Finally Becom

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Tom's hardware.com "Are 3D Movie Theaters Finally Becom

Post by Silversurfer »

Nice article about Dolby 3 D cinema technology and upcoming films, well worth a read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/27/ ... _a_reality_/

I am a regular reader of Tom's hardware and this fair and unbiased article doesn't surprise me, they tend to have good writers and editors who have a habit of getting to the point with just enough detail to keep you reading. What do you guys think?

Cheers silver surfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

Hey,
Thanks for the info.
I didn't know much about Dolby's approach until now.
It even made me ask myself whether REAL D or Dolby are going to be the new industry standard for watching cinema 3D movies.
Made me find this post here about the 2 technologies:

http://www.news.com/Dolby-stakes-its-cl ... 12112.html

Bit out dated now but gives you an idea of the differences.

I'm actually starting to wonder now in what format do these movies arrive in to be displayed on the 3D projectors....?
Lets say you wanted to show a movie on the REAL D projector, wat format (as in frames per second, resolution etc) do they require to show it?
The very high framerate, which is 72fps per eye, makes sure the image looks continuous. In Real D Cinema, each frame is projected three times to reduce flicker, as the source video is usually 24fps.
ok, just answered my own question, got that info from Wiki.
So they just get it standard 24p but at twice the resolution (left and right eye) then there projector does all the work to it.
NICE!!!

ok,
cheers

Shono

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”