Most versatile components, best use of money?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
samssf
One Eyed Hopeful

Most versatile components, best use of money?

Post by samssf »

Hello,

So I'm gathering information and hoping to get some opinions on how I can best begin buying components, with the goal of eventually creating an amazing 3D surround system.

Currently I have an i5 PC with an ATI 5850 card, and a $2000 starting budget for now. I'm still not 100% clear on all the options available, or what the future roadmap will look like for nvidia and ATI as far as 3D goes (I guess one knows for sure). But basically, I don't want to buy an nvidia card if I don't have to, but if it will give me the best flexibility I will.

I live in a small apartment and have a desk that's about 30"x60", and have a single monitor arm with a 24" 60hz display. I've been thinking about getting two nvidia gtx 580 cards, possibly with water blocks for watercooling. Then I'd get a single Alienware AW2310 display for 3D. Unfortunately my current motherboard doesn't do SLI (only crossfire), so I'd need to get a new $350 motherboard since I'd like the option to do triple SLI in the future.

Anyway, the idea of using a dual or triple projector setup seems even more appealing to me. Right now I have one projector (non 3D) projecting at about 10' onto a 100" screen. It's great for movies, but I don't have it set up for games from the sofa unless I use my wireless xbox controller with the PC for supported games. Also, in order to do a multi-projector setup I'd have to build a 150 degree curved screen, and I have no idea how to do that don't have a garage or tools :D

Alternatively, I could just set up three 2D displays on my desk and forget the 3D. I've never tried 3D nor surround gaming, so I don't know which is more enjoyable (if I had to choose only one). This is a 3D forum so I'm guessing the opinions will be biased that way :D

Let me know what ideas you all have on how I should spend my money to get the best options going forward.
Current hardware:
- Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 projector
- PS3
- Benq 24" G2400WD mounted on single monitor arm
- Antec P182 case
- Corsair 650W PSU
- ATI 5850 graphics card
- Gigabyte P55 UD3R motherboard
- Intel i5 750
- Retail copy OSX hackintosh / Windows 7
- Wireless XBox controller for PC
- G27 Racing wheel

Wish list / researching:
- nvidia gtx580 x 3
- Full water cooling (ek pumps, dual pump top, res, rx480 radiator)
- Corsair 800d or Silverstone Temjin TJ07-BW case
- Probably Alienware AW2310 displays (up to 3) or multiple projectors
- 3D glasses
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Most versatile components, best use of money?

Post by Dom »

I like the idea of surround gaming and seems alright. The thing that bothers me about using monitor for surround is the frame of the monitor. I think it totally sucks having that in the way. Its like the worst blind spot and such an eye sore.

I currently video game on a 200 inch screen from my projector sitting at my desk about 1 meter away. I think its pretty well great and that it seems more natural than playing on a 22 inch or 27 inch. A 32 inch screen is probably close to the minimum size for a comfortable playing atmosphere.

Anyways you should get yourself a computer room and setup your system in there where you have your desk. Then just beam the projectors from high up on the other side behind you going to the wall or some kind of screen. If you have a big enough sized room you could have your desk in the middle of the room so your a little farther back from your projected image.

Honestly you should just buy one single projector and test it out for the first day in 3d and if its not detailed enough go for two more.

Also projector have way better picture quality but you have to have a darker room. So its light vs clarity, but a huge 60 inch led 3dtv could interest you too and its possible to use them with 1080p 3d checkerboard.

You may also want to look into something like this: http://3dvision-blog.com/toob-an-immers ... d-support/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you find something you like.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Most versatile components, best use of money?

Post by cybereality »

I would say get one 3D monitor to start with and see if its something you want to invest more money in. The LG D2342P-PN ( http://www.amazon.com/LG-D2342P-PN-23-I ... B004WK3R4U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) is probably the cheapest thing that you could get and still should look OK. That will work with ATI/AMD cards, most of the other monitors are Nvidia only. I think that monitor should work with triple-head Eyefinity in 3D, and I might even build a rig around that myself (at least I hope to).

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”