what method does killzone 3 use to be stereoscopic on a 3dtv

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

what method does killzone 3 use to be stereoscopic on a 3dtv

Post by goemon »

3d is taxing on the video card, so i imagine killzone 3 in 3d mode is not even 720p. so does it use that 3d method where the resolution is cut in half so each eye gets a different view? if so, it's like a resolution reduction tacked onto a resolution reduction. like, they probably have to have killzone 3 run at 500p or something to handle the 3d mode, then the tv cuts the resolution down to 250p or something. is this how it is or is there another method it uses that can be explained to me?
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: what method does killzone 3 use to be stereoscopic on a

Post by bgnome »

not really understanding what you are getting at here.
assuming you are using an Nvidia card with 3DTV Play enabled, you will be outputting a standard 720P 60Hz, frame packed format. Each view is rendered in 720P, no more, no less. Signal is sent to the 3dtv framepacked, so it will be 1280x1470, (two 1280x720 frames with 30 pixel vertical blanking). it will then be displayed at 720P 60Hz for each eye on your 3dtv.

this is totally independent of the game or the display. the game is forced to output render at the resolution you tell it, regardless of how strong your videdocard is.

half resolution would occur if you are using over/under, side-by-side, checkerboard, interlaced, etc. that you might be using on IZ3D or DDD, or to a limited extent on 3D Vision or the old Nvidia S3D drivers. if, for some reason, you have a PASSIVE 3dtv and you decide to output 720P side-by-side, then yes, you are taking two 640x720 frames and throwing out half the vertical information, leaving you with an effective 640x360 per eye which is about 25% of the resolution you started with.
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

well i think that answers my question. i just need to research how 3dtv methods work more.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is true. Consoles (like PS3) do not have the power or capability to render games at the full 1080P 60Hz like you can with a high-end Nvidia 3D Vision solution. They output at 720P, however the actual game may run at a lower res, probably at 30fps. The game may make other sacrifices, like lowering the texture quality, reducing the overall detail of the graphics, etc. in order to make it run faster. If you want the best possible 3D gaming experience, then you need a decently powered PC gaming rig. I personally use an Nvidia GTX 470, and thats probably a decent starting point if you want to play games like Metro 2033 in 3D. If you only want to play less intensive games, like Left4Dead, then even cheaper hardware will suffice.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”