Just ordered a set of nvidia glasses... have a few questions

drstevil
One Eyed Hopeful

Just ordered a set of nvidia glasses... have a few questions

Post by drstevil »

So I finally jumped on a pair of shutter glasses from nVidia. I know that you need a 120hz monitor to use them, which I do not have. However, after looking around google it seems that it's possible to force it @ 60hz (30fps each eye) through a registry hack or custom drivers. I've been looking for a definite answer to this but cannot find one.

If that is out of the question, is it possible to use a CRT with these? What is the minimum refresh rate that the monitor has to have to enable the glasses? The reason I ask is because I read a review that said it required dual link DVI to use. If that's the case, my CRTs are only analog VGA and don't seem like they'd work at all.

and lastly, does anyone currently make a 120hz monitor with a native resolution over 1680x1050? I purchased a gtx 295 a few weeks ago, I'd feel awful not being able to use it to it's full potential. It's bad enough that I'd have to give up my 30" screen, but I really don't want to go with a lower resolution on top of that.

any help or suggestions are welcome. I haven't been following the stereo 3D scene in a while so I'm pretty out of the loop

thanks
steve
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Just ordered a set of nvidia glasses... have a few questions

Post by cybereality »

The 3D Vision glasses will work with some CRT monitors if they can do 100Hz or 120Hz. In terms of LCD monitors you really only have the Samsung and Viewsonic 120Hz which are 22" @ 1680x1050. There was supposed to be a 1080P ASUS monitor coming out but I don't have anything definite on that front.
drstevil
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drstevil »

ok, thanks for the heads up :)

so with that said, I made a request to "santa" for one of the 3D LCD monitors. Which one is the better of the two? the samsung or the viewsonic?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I haven't actually seen either monitor in person so its hard to say. But from what I have read they are pretty close to each other in terms of performance.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”