TechRepublic.Com's iZ3D Review - Big Statement, NO FACTS!

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

TechRepublic.Com's iZ3D Review - Big Statement, NO FACTS!

Post by Neil »

Did this review make sense to you? What steps would you like to see the reviewer take? Do you think it is worth retracting?

Regards,
Neil
Last edited by Neil on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharky

Post by sharky »

i replied to the guy and added 2 screenshots.. i think he wrote a lot of s***!

its not the way to make a review.. what had problems was the pc, not the monitor.. yu cant test a game in hires and good quality AND stereo with a 6series..

i was quite agressive in my commetn to him.. :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Neil

Post by Neil »

Good. I had to sleep on whether or not to step in on this, but that review was so badly done, with such a damaging conclusion based on false and unrelated information, I had to speak my piece.

Regards,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

well i think that it is not because of iz3D.. i think it is more for a sense of justice (at least from my side)

if tehr eis something i hate is when people act in a way that i think is not correct or not human (i think that now many of oyu knwo that side of my character.. :D)

ok thats it.. lets see what and how he replies.. i think he sends me to hell :D

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Isei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isei »

You guys both own iz3d monitors right? Can you please do a performance test and see if there's a performance drop with the iz3d drivers and how large the drop is between 2d/3d mode.

Bioshock for example runs about 30 fps with an nvidia 7950gt without any stereo drivers - would be nice to know if it would run only 15 fps with the iz3d..

If someone already did a test then please give me the link 8)

Edit: read the blog and realized that it's hard to measure the real framerate when it's 2 pictures..

I guess I'll just have to take your word for it - a 30% framerate loss. 30*0.70 = 21fps.. Hmm I suppose bioshock would be unplayable with a 7950gt in 3d without lowering the the ingame settings :(
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Isei,

I have a 7900GTX, and I played the demo at max settings at 1600 X 900. The 7950GT is a hair slower than my card, but I think you will be able to find a resolution mix that lets you play at max settings.

I did some testing on my wife's computer with her 7600GT (my old 7600GT).

Last year's games are very playable (BF2, Fear, Oblivion, etc) in 3D. However, Bioshock needs a drastic reduction in visual quality to play even in 2D mode. I think this is because modern games are far more demanding now that mid-range cards are DX10 based. To put things in perspective, my 7900GTX, which was once NVIDIA's flagship product, is on par with a mid-range 8600GTS in DX9 performance.

The 6800GT is 25% the power of a 7900GTX. The equipment used for this review was too far out of date.

Check this link to see how your graphics card ranks:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Regards,
Neil
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

What a crappy review..

I wrote a long post, but cancelled it when I had to register and all.. you guys made perfect sense already anyway.

Amazing really, using that old equipment to review state of the art 2x 1600x1050 screen generation (which it is). His comment on using a quad cpu's is pointless anyway. Very few games use a quadcpu anyway, and even then there is no point in using one if the cpu is constantly waiting for the age old GPU to finish..

Reviewing a IZ3D on a 6800, and commenting on bad fps... pffff.. some site that is.

edit: he didn't even touch topics like depth, immersion, in your face, etc
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Did you read the preview there?
It was a little longer and more informative:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=794

He complains about bad FPS... that might be due to the high resolution. Probably he was playing in 1024x first and now his card had to render nearly twice as many pixels...

Anyway he doesn't seem to know that Menue is not that good in 3D, he should focus on real 3D games like shooters...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
IN65498
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IN65498 »

It is sad to see people being so biased against something.
Plus, that review is sloppy, hurried, unfocused, like a job you absolutely didn't want to do.

I think it's telling that in his replies he quietly left out his remark about the 2D performance loss, maybe he was suspecting something nasty was indeed happening to his very old pc, and that was the reason for a big drop in frame rates...

On the other hand, I have been scalded by the many enthusiastic, flying-colors reviews of the edimensional glasses with their (awful) proprietary drivers, where many reviewers' websites were in the business of collecting ad money from edimensional...
So, even in the hypothetical case of this techrepublic review being very positive, I wouldn't have been impressed anyway.

It is difficult to find someone to trust; most are not competent on a niche technology, plus many reviewers seem to be happy to write "their piece" by cutting and pasting material from the official leaflets.
Maybe that is another reason why critics feel free to be equally superficial.

Too many products were touted as the final breakthrough to getting 3D into the mainstream; maybe some people are just tired to get the nth quasi-viable product and to be forced to fight against its bugs and to ignore flaws. So people may be overreacting when they face technicalities and issues with settings and so on.
That said, a reviewer who usually gets the bare minimum playable fps with a pc, then switches to 3D and gets a significant drop, so he says that for a 1000$ monitor he cannot accept this, deserves to be fired immediately for incompetence (to be replaced by me :lol:... )

I remember the edimensional drivers mysteriously getting my fps (in 3D) down the drain, subjectively that was a performance drop of more than 80%, so with enough bad programming going on, you can easily surpass the worst case scenario of 45-50% fps in 3d. I don't really think this is the case here.

The point is, I expect the iz3d drivers to drop the fps by the touted 25-30%, the 50% drop should be a rare worst case, with no further performance loss like in the edimensional days.
Seeing that there is at least one reviewer out there saying that there are issues with the fps with the iz3d drivers, even if he is not making a very good impression of himself, makes me nervous.
Remember I am one of the many guys who could buy the iz3d monitor by mail, but with no way to test the thing before the expensive parcel gets delivered... Many less motivated people may be discouraged by articles like this one we are discussing, a credible thorough analysis of what really to expect in real life is badly needed.

The proper answer must be that of independent reviews of games showing us verified 3D performance drops with typical pc rigs.
Including suggestions about ideal configs, ex.: getting a pc with SLI, what am I going to get? About the same drop? Not worth the hassle? An even better scenario? Or maybe a nightmare of bugs?

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”