iZ3D Interview

Respond to the movers and shakers by making THEM move and shake!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

iZ3D Interview

Post by Neil »

iZ3D's monitor is finally released!

Was it worth the wait?

Post your interview comments here!

Regards,
Neil
IN65498
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IN65498 »

I liked this interview, but I'd have also asked the following (I realize most of it is premature and/or has been discussed on the forums, but still, it's good to hear from the company).

-How about the grainy look in 2D images of the 17" model? What did you do to address it?
-How about the alleged asymmetry between the left and right image (brightness/sharpness)?
-I take 5ms is a good response time; however as of late people are reporting of LCDs sporting also good response, but adding some very unnerving lag (particularly observable when cloning the desktop on a CRT). Are you aware of this issue, and can you assure that your model is free from this anti-gamer LCD production shortcut?
-What sizes of monitor are you going to go for the next step, and above all, when (i.e. it's more like 6 months or 2years, since 22" is a little less than optimal)?
-When are you going to give us stable Vista64 DX10 drivers?
-I'm from Italy; how are you addressing the international market, i.e. tradeshows, distributors...? (It's a bit difficult to fork out 1000$ for a mail order, to get a product never seen live before, with some concern about long distance delivery...)
-Am I the only one who gets your IZ3D website to hang Firefox, getting 99% processor occupancy for minutes (maybe it's something with the animations)?
Thank you and good luck!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

Hi!

italy here too.. :D bolzano!

i don't think that there will be a second part of the interview so i answer your questions as far as i can. if you still have questions you can post them in the iz3d section in the "Questions" topic. BlackQ, a guy from the iz3d team will answer your questions.

by the way,as far as i know the grainy look is caused by the two pannels one in front of the other.. they solved it increasing the pannel quality. i have an iz3D 17" and i noticed the grainy look only for more or less 10/11 hours.. now for me it is like a absolute normal screen.. i don't notice any difference.
the difference between the left and right eye can be solved without problems playing around with the nvidia settings.. i did it and got perfect results,.. vista/DX10 drivers should come out around january/march. 64bit, dunno...i tested the beta drivers for a while and i can guarantee that these guys REALLY WORK a lot... every 2/3 games there where a new beta and every time with huge ammounts of success... you see that they like theyr work and do it well.. i don't think that driver support will be a problem..
i didn't notice any lag (not even one time) with the 17" montior.. so i would exclude it from the 22"...
about the monitor size.. in theyr forum blackq wrote that they are not shure about it but plan to go around 40 (if i don'T remember wrong... better you check it out because i don'T want to give wrong informations).

thats all i know.. bye bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Answers

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, IN65498!

-How about the grainy look in 2D images of the 17" model? What did you do to address it?
We used better materials and better panels - 22"W 2d image quality from my point of view is the same like for common 2d monitors

-How about the alleged asymmetry between the left and right image (brightness/sharpness)?
Still a bit there - we are fighting :-)

-I take 5ms is a good response time; however as of late people are reporting of LCDs sporting also good response, but adding some very unnerving lag (particularly observable when cloning the desktop on a CRT). Are you aware of this issue, and can you assure that your model is free from this anti-gamer LCD production shortcut?
Response time is mostly about 2d panel, not 3d monitors - there are a lot of discussions about that and methods to measure response time - we try to use industry widely accepted standards here

-What sizes of monitor are you going to go for the next step, and above all, when (i.e. it's more like 6 months or 2years, since 22" is a little less than optimal)?
This is our internal planning now and I can suppose only something around 24-26, but it will depends on demands from different group of customers. Depends on this and also volume forecast we can try to estimate development cycle.

Our estimation is in 2-3 months from now

-I'm from Italy; how are you addressing the international market, i.e. tradeshows, distributors...? (It's a bit difficult to fork out 1000$ for a mail order, to get a product never seen live before, with some concern about long distance delivery...)
Working on that - check our web site for news here.

-Am I the only one who gets your IZ3D website to hang Firefox, getting 99% processor occupancy for minutes (maybe it's something with the animations)?
No, I'm second :-) We are fixing this problem now
IN65498
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Answers

Post by IN65498 »

Thank you BlackQ for taking the time to answer me...
BlackQ wrote:Response time is mostly about 2d panel, not 3d monitors - there are a lot of discussions about that and methods to measure response time - we try to use industry widely accepted standards here
I'm not sure you properly understood my question, so I'll try to reformulate. Gamers are known to be picky for LCDs due to slow response time for some (mostly older) models. Now the issue seems to fade in the background, yet something even nastier made its appearance: input lag. Some people even suggested it's due to a shortcut they took to reduce response time, though I take it's mostly due to image elaboration (scaling, smoothing...), mostly on LCD TVs. It's a completely different problem, it's definitely there as you can see here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2OE6hSh00
The image reacts to your actions with a delay, sometimes it's so annoying even moving the cursor over the desktop feels wrong, like moving the mouse through honey.
The absence of such effect is a make-or-break for an LCD, at least for a gamer, yet companies fail to mention it.
So, have you tested the panels you are using to make sure there is no noticeable lag?
(about the size of an upcoming bigger model) This is our internal planning now and I can suppose only something around 24-26, but it will depends on demands from different group of customers. Depends on this and also volume forecast we can try to estimate development cycle.
If I may suggest you, I'd go for anything in the 30-34 inches, since 24 or so is pointless, being so close to the 22" model, while I understand even bigger models could be too hard to sell (and manufacture). 3D enthusiasts want the biggest possible image, dual projectors are there for a reason.
Still, it would be nice to know if it makes sense to wait for a spring bigger model, or it's going to be a year or more to wait.
Our estimation is in 2-3 months from now
:D Thumbs up!
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Panel and size

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, IN65498!

I understand input lag issue, but again we are the same here as any other LCD panel - no difference because of 3D. Check for example, Viewsonic 22"W - I suppose we have similar parameters.

For most LCD model (does not matter which size) development cycle is not less than 6 months - so, spring 2008 is earliest something we can thing about, but it is suggestion only.

Regards,
Lucky
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lucky »

Hi BlackQ,

I am currently playing around with Passive Stereo Projection using two projectors, but who knows - maybe one day I will be interested in buying one of your monitors. Seeing you post here in the forums sure gives me confidence in your company, not to mention a lot of respect! Thanks for taking the time to post here. :)

~Lucky
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, Core2Dou E8400, 4GB PC-4200 Kingston Ram, ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Work and fun

Post by BlackQ »

My pleasure! Being inside iZ3D LLC is not only work, but real fun for me - and it is impressive to see final product after 8 years hard start up life having in mind that I was whole 8 years there

Return to “MTBS Interview User Remarks”