Field-sequential systems

ChrisMohrSr
One Eyed Hopeful

Field-sequential systems

Post by ChrisMohrSr »

I recently purchased a Toshiba 30HF66 CRT HDTV.

I purposely purchased a CRT television set because, for some years, I have been using a field-sequential system to view 3D DVD material. I was given to believe that my field-sequential system would work with any CRT TV; however, my system will not work with my 30HF66 CRT HDTV.

The reason for this, I am told, is because my 30HF66 display formats of 540p and 1080i cannot sync with the display format of my field-sequential system. As I understand it, one thing I might do is find a way to convert my field-sequential system's display format to one my TV can use. Is this a practical solution to my problem? If it is, is there any kind of electronics kit on the market that I can build with which I can adjust those display formats?

Please advise me accordingly and tell me why the 30HF66 CRT HDTV was designed not to accept a field-sequential display format. It seems that any other CRT TV will accept a signal that can be viewed with shutter glasses. Why not the 30HF66? Please satisfy my curiosity and tell me why I must buy another TV just to view my 3D material.

To anyone who can tell me how to get my CRT HDTV to work with my shutter glasses, I shall give my first born. Of course my first born is fifty years old, but you can have him anyway.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

Christopher R. Mohr Sr. :cry:
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Re: Field-sequential systems

Post by funkee »

It's simple. The architecture was never made to accept 100 or 120Hz inputs since there are little normal TV sources to drive it. Most CRT's are low-end and that's the reason you are unlikely to find any. It's not technically impossible, but simple rarely done.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Re: Field-sequential systems

Post by funkee »

After re-reading your posting I think you have a different problem: your TV is too expensive haha! If you have an HDTV, it probably upconverts your SD to HD. Since 3D (SD!!) DVD's are field sequential most of the time, this means they can be viewed provided the frames are kept isolated (in other words, keep the interlace). But your HDTV probably does deinterlacing and scaling to fill the lines of the image (because it is a simple deflection system that does not switch scan rate like a monitor does). If you deinterlace and scale, you essentially mix the two fields (or rather, left and right) and your glasses can't seperate it anymore.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”