impossible questions

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I have an anwer for these two :
sharky wrote: 1) if an atomic bomb explodes, could the electromagnetic wave kill my video tapes?
2) if a car travels at lightspeed, would the lights still work?
1) who cares, the shock wave will kill it a few seconds later anyways ;)
2) yes they would still work, because a car has mass so it can't travel at light speed.
If it does, then you have found the trick to make the whole space around the car move as well, so there is room left to make light travel even faster.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

i think i have the answer to this.. when a object is in the air, attached to something or lying on a shelf there is a hard structure holding it. when you are under that object your sort of "soft". so the energy you use is the energy needed to make your body solid enough to hold the weight up. as soon as oyu cant be solid anymore you crash.. if you for example place your elbow on the table and place 1 kg on your hand and keep that weight exactly over the point where the ellbow touches the table you should be able to keep it for hours without beeing tired.. (you might feel a slight pain though.. :D )

se the energy you need is only indirectly to keep the thing up, it is needed to keep the shape of the object that is holding it.. thats why the rope would not work as expected if instead of attaching it to the roof you attach it to the floor because ther eis no force and no energy keeping it in tension.
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Every material has a certain amount of "softness" or i'd rather say a mix of elasticity and material resistance (i don't know how it's officially called, haven't studied material resistance). Even extremenly hard materials like diamond. Both inwards and outwards the material.
If you pull too hard on a string, the material can't take anymore and it snaps

A string gets it's strength from electric interactions inside the string structure, it's the same for living bodies except the structure of our bodies which gives us this strength is composed of many different parts : skin and flesh and bones and muscles. All of this is composed of big molecules that hold together thanks to electric interaction, exactly like the string material, but we also need a little extra energy to contract muscles and move our body.
The reason why you experience a little pain after having you hand laying on the table with a heavy object on it is because some of the cells inside your hand either : snap because of the compression or die out of oxygen (blood circulation interrupted). The pain goes when your body repairs what's broken. (i'm leaving out the nerves, endomorphine and mental perception of pain in the brain etc... to keep it simple)
Last edited by BlackShark on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
sharky

Post by sharky »

ofcourse, but if a material is too soft to take it it takes energy to keep it harder.. else the material compresses a bit until the strenght equals the force applied. if you body is wacky and you dont keep it hard you would collapse.. since its only the muscles that keep your body in tension.

LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

sharky wrote:2 more questions

--gravity is a force, and for every force to be produced you need energy. where does the energy that creates gravity come from? why isnt it consuming?
I think the question is already wrong. You don't need energy for the force and you don't need energy to counter the force.

But if you work a distance against a force you get energy:
F*s = W(Force*distance=Work=Energy)
If you move 90° to the Force you don't do any 'Work', because no Force trys to stop you. But you need WORK to accelerate the object you want to transport. Theoretically you get the work back when you slow it down, though.

I think it's the same if you want to hold a bowling ball in mid air. You keep accelerating it up and down (jittering?) and that needs Energy and you get tired. But in the end you didn't do any work - just produced a lot of heat.

Some types of Energy:
Potential (on a high shelve compared to the lower one)
Speed w=1/2*m*v^2
Mass W=E=m*c^2 (mass*lightspeed^2)
'suspension'
Heat (the lowest energy. Everything will be heat in the end, so no energy gets lost).

@car@lightspeed:
wo says me the car moves and not the world around it? If the world is moving the light can move with lightspeed away from the car and get back to it...
but the outside world would think the light is just some 0,000X% faster.

counter question: What happens if two cars@lightspeed fly towards each other? Could they see each other?
There are some interesting facts about "Einstein" and his "Relativitätstheorie".

4,5,6) It's all because we are used to it - and because the earth rotates around itself and the sun at a certain speed. That can be mesured and get calculated... And the small differences that are left can't be noticed by humans.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

IMPRESSIVE!

Post by fReAq »

Wow, BlackShark Im impressed with your self propelled discerning processes! And CarlKenner, thats a fantastic metaphor for the blue sky... who couldve thought to explain it in terms of anaglyph ghosting hahaha!
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

By the way

Post by fReAq »

For the case of 'permanent' magnets doing no work to stay stuck to the fridge.... I dont get it at all... what did all the work to cause magnetism in that thing in the first place?? whenever I tried to make a magnet by rubbing it with another magnet it took a lot of work to get it strong. But will the magnet fall off the fridge eventually?
sharky

Re: impossible questions

Post by sharky »

some new ones here

- why do trucks have that sort of wing over the cabin instead of having a higher cabin?
- why is it impossible to ice-skate on the south pole?
- THIS ONE IS A REALLY CRAZY ONE: why do pictures hang on the wall for years, and then suddenly fall? what makes them fall that didnt make them fall before?
- why is the steering system on the front side of the cars and not on the back side?
- why are young mountains higher then old ones?

cu

sharky

cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Nice idear, finaly a way to use al that things in my head:

F: why do trucks have that sort of wing over the cabin instead of having a higher cabin?
A: Cause a plastic wind is cheaper, lighter and easier to make than an higher cabin with that special angle.

F: why is it impossible to ice-skate on the south pole?
A: It's not, you just have to make the ice even

F: THIS ONE IS A REALLY CRAZY ONE: why do pictures hang on the wall for years, and then suddenly fall? what makes them fall that didnt make them fall before?
A: Einstein said something about chaos: A Butterfly can cause a Hurricane. So it's possible that a fly flying alsong causes your pictur to fall off the wall.

F: why is the steering system on the front side of the cars and not on the back side?
A: I think its tradition, the forklifts in our company have the steering on the backside.

F: why are young mountains higher then old ones?
A: Errusion: Wind, Rain, Cooling, Heating and Rivers cause stone to split of the mountain. In the Rivers the stone is fine crushed and transportet to the sea, we call this fine crushed stone sand.

-Why do all Sattelites in the orbit of earth have not the exact time (even with an atomic clock)?
-(May a bit to strange) Why i can't enable the "shedule" service to start automatically on my Vista 64bit system? (I don't know the answer...)
-Is it possible to get energy out of nothing? (Like the ZPM in Stargate)
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi!!

have something to say about the ice skating.. made some research and it is impossible, because when you ice skate you melt a thin layer of ice into water, and that water makes you skate. on the south pole it is too cold to melt the ice.

:) chaos theory.. hmm.. yeah ok but lets exclude that answer.. since with that answer you could explain almost everything.. :D

Return to “General Discussion”