REAL 3D blu-ray! FINALLY!!!

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

REAL 3D blu-ray! FINALLY!!!

Post by koshien »

"Hannah Montana And Miley Cyrus: Best Of Both Worlds Concert Tour" is being realeased in a 2D and 3D blu-ray version.... I thought the dvd version was going to use old anaglyph technique while the blu-ray edition was going to show off the latest technologies for a 3D vision (TDVision codec?)....
Unfortunately hidef digest tells us this is not the case.... blu-ray will be using the same old anaglyph method:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1295/ha ... orlds.html
They say it' s still a funny thing and maybe it has better results than old movies, but still.... it can't really be compared to realD or Imax...I think this was a big opportunity, and it has been wasted. Hopefully this is just a first step for 3D blu-rays... but it's definitely not good if we start with such an old technique... at least I really don't care about Hanna Montana :D

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read next posts! There are great news!
Last edited by koshien on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Why don't they just make both things on one disc? I thought blueray is so BIG! Why not all versions? It would be about 3-4 times the space of the 2D version needed - if no special codec is used!
Who uses Anaglyph? I know there will be a lot of people out there, but it won't bring the technology forward :-(
Now, for that 3-D version. First, the bad news. Only the film's credit and concert sequences are in 3-D, not the backstage footage, which makes the taking on-and-off of the glasses quickly tedious. And more importantly, no this is not full-color 3-D -- it's only the old-fashioned "anaglyph" red/blue process. Four pairs of 3-D glasses are provided, and they are typical cheesy paper/plastic kind that kinda hurts the tops of your ears after about 20 minutes. I also found the best "sweet spot" was about eight feet from my 70" Sony, which filled up my field of vision quite well and ultimately provided a solid if unexceptional 3-D presentation.
And only half of it in S-3D?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
koshien

Post by koshien »

LukePC1 wrote: Who uses Anaglyph? I know there will be a lot of people out there, but it won't bring the technology forward :-(
And the technology might be underestimated if they show bad 3D....people wouldn't get to know all the improvements have been made on the 3D technology and it would just seem (as it is) the old goofy solution again.
As you say, I was actually thinking about putting 3 versions of the movie in the same disc:
1st version: 2D movie
2nd version: 3D movie anglyph (for all kinds of tvs...)
3rd version: 3D movie for 3D-ready tvs (TDVision codec?)
I think this would be the best solution and blu-ray discs shouldn't have storage problems.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

That review makes me sad. I was hoping for S-3D blu ray by the time this video came out. I will most likely pass on it now, as I was more excited about the picture and not Miley :(

I agree though. All 3 formats on a single disk would be very good. Even if they ran out of room on disk 1, they could include a 2nd disk. I'd pay up to 50% more for S-3D content, especially if the movies were good.
koshien

Post by koshien »

Killigath wrote:That review makes me sad. I was hoping for S-3D blu ray by the time this video came out. I will most likely pass on it now, as I was more excited about the picture and not Miley :(

I agree though. All 3 formats on a single disk would be very good. Even if they ran out of room on disk 1, they could include a 2nd disk. I'd pay up to 50% more for S-3D content, especially if the movies were good.
I'm sad too... I really thought one big news would have been this partnership between TDVision and Walt Disney for this first 3D blu-ray....I was so disappointed and disillusioned.
I agree with you, if including 3 versions of the same movie leads to a storage problem (with dual layer or dual side shouldn't be a problem though, am I wrong?)....they could include a second disc in the same package, even if it gets a 30% more expensive it would not be a problem.
I'm curious to see what they will do with" Bolt" and "Journey to the center of the earth".... hopefully real S-3D blu-rays will be a reality by the time "Avatar" will get a bluray edition.
koshien

Post by koshien »

I remember today there is going to be a meeting for the s-3D industry.... let' s see what they come out with...
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

That really is a shame as the TDVCodec is supposed to enable stereoviewing of the content as well as 2d viewing without the need to store a complete second copy of the movie on the disc. hopefully they can gain some traction from the industry.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
koshien

Post by koshien »

Great! I read the news about TDVision codec being used later this year for 15 new blu-rays coming out!
Thank you TDVision! :D
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

koshien wrote:Great! I read the news about TDVision codec being used later this year for 15 new blu-rays coming out!
Thank you TDVision! :D
The big question is -- what Blu-Ray players can play them back in S3D? Would you need to buy a new TDVision-certified player (plus an S3D HDTV of course)? Hopefully they can at least get a firmware update onto Sony PS3 (the Blu-Ray player with largest install base), if not for most existing Blu-Ray players.
koshien

Post by koshien »

Read this interesting interview from some time ago (May 2008)...it does give an answer to your questions :wink: : http://www.play3-live.com/news-ps3-film ... 35-p2.html
So, it seems like there will be an update for the ps3... and this machine will demonstrate once again it is the right choice also for movie fans!
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

koshien wrote:Read this interesting interview from some time ago (May 2008)...it does give an answer to your questions :wink: : http://www.play3-live.com/news-ps3-film ... 35-p2.html
So, it seems like there will be an update for the ps3... and this machine will demonstrate once again it is the right choice also for movie fans!
Thanks, that is great news.
koshien

Post by koshien »

Great great great news!

TDVision's CTO speaking:

"TDVision is pushing to break the vicious cycle that stops the content creators to adopt a 3D encoding format due to the lack of hardware support by:
- Being an active part of the standardization process
- Entering discussions and negotiations with different studios like MagicPlay
- Enabling practically every existing PC for 3D playback with a simple, free download
- Support of all the existing 3D displays out there in the market

The feasibility of updating the PS3 and Blu-ray 2.0 players has been analyzed and validated internally, so technically speaking we can do it immediately if we get clearance to modify the low level firmware. The only thing that is a challenge here are the business agreements, not the technical skills. To "conform" the format for a specific 3D ready display is simply a very basic pixel addressing that can be done with a simple pointer when writing the frame buffer right after the image has been decoded, there's nothing to it. It may seem complicated for somebody that is not expert low level coding but it's extremely simple thing to do when having the right low level programming access.

There are two kinds of standards:
- Written Standard
- Standard de-facto

Most of the standards de-facto, started by being adopted by companies, users and people before there was a written standard. Content is ready, displays are ready and we do not see any reason why this shouldn't happen today. Buy a Blu-ray and download the free software, get any 3D Ready Mitsubishi or Samsung display at Wal-Mart (In case you don't know people are buying it and more than 2 million people have purchased one) and you're ready, why would that be aggravating? In order to see in 3D is clear that you need a 3D-Ready TV. Several manufacturers are working on that like Mitsubishi, Samsung, ViewSonic, and even Sony, and content encoded with our TDVCodec can drive ANY 3D display. It's clear that if you do not buy a 3D TV you won't be able to see in 3D, oh, wait, our Format not only plays back the full HD version in 2D but it can also playback the same Blu-ray disk in 3D anaglyph when using a 2D monitor!... We see the interest not only of one company but many to use our TDVCodec and just so you know, MagicPlay is not the only one, but we can not disclose any names by now.

TDVision has the PC playback ready now. The update for some existing Blu-ray players is 100% feasible, is in our roadmap and it's going to happen within the near future.
The frames per second and the refresh rates are two different things, the content is encoded at 24fps for each eye and the display is refreshing at 120Hz or 60Hz per eye, there's no flickering, have you ever tried one?, we would like to invite you to our demo room to see it working, we have it running on an off-the-shelf Laptop connected to an off-the-shelf Samsung TV we got at Fry's with off-the-shelf online acquired shutter glasses with our free download on it. Works, doesn't flicker, great 3D.

The number of Blu-ray units is increasing every day, the PCs shipped with Blu-ray players is almost mandatory now so this is only going to allow more users to be capable to watch 3D content with a simple free download.

When more and more content is encoded with our system, and as we have been able to prove so far, the benefit for the user of having the freedom of choice to drive any 3D display without adding or having to pay for any additional hardware is clear and has been demonstrated in several shows by now where thousands have been able to see it working.

Our mission is to provide the users with the best 3D experience while providing full compatibility with existing 2D infrastructures. We are ready now.

Regards,

TDVision's CTO "
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

I have a 3D DLP samsung tv....hope it will work :roll:
GPU: nVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 550W
RAM: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2, 2.13 GHz
Display: 61'' Samsung 3D-Ready LED DLP TV (HL61A750) + 22'' Samsung 2233rz for PC
Glasses: Nvidia 3D Vision kit
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

johnoliver wrote:I have a 3D DLP samsung tv....hope it will work :roll:
If you read the first post, it says that the disk contains an anaglyph version (red-blue glasses).
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Tril wrote:
johnoliver wrote:I have a 3D DLP samsung tv....hope it will work :roll:
If you read the first post, it says that the disk contains an anaglyph version (red-blue glasses).
why on earth would he worry about anaglyph on a Samsung 3D DLP? Stereo all the way :)
Pretty sure hes not talking about Hanna Montana anaglyph anymore...
I'm shure you would have to buy a TVD encoded blu-ray though.

This is exciting news.

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”