Standard Plasma 100hz with shutter glasses?

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Standard Plasma 100hz with shutter glasses?

Post by Okta »

I see quite a few 100hz plasma tv's on the market these days does anyone know if it will be possible to run these with some lcd shutter glasses and nvidia or maybe the new iz3d driver?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

From what I understand there aren't any real 100Hz LCD/Plasma displays available yet. If you read closely you will see that its a marketing gimmick (like so many other "features"), and that the sets really run at 50Hz with some sort of internal mechanism to interpolate between frames. They cannot accept or display a true 100Hz signal so they probably won't be of much help for S3D. I have seen some of the sets in the store and they are really nothing special (just like "dynamic contrast" its marketing fluff that makes it look worse IMO). Also, you are also asking about a driver that isn't out yet, so I'm not sure anyone aside from the iz3D guys could know that.

But if you have to money for a plasma set why not just get a real S3D solution like from Samsung, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, etc.? I think Zalman had a 32" set supposedly coming soon...
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I have sort of given up on waiting for a decent s3d solution for my pc and bought a 28inch viewsonic lcd for $639au which is pretty good. I only asked about the tv because im looking to get a new tv soonish and thought it would be interesting to go for the s3d capable option for a bit of fun if it was worth the extra $$$. Plus none of those s3d tv's are available in australia from what i have seen. At this stage im going to give things a few more years untill hmd's or projection become decent options for s3d for my main gaming purposes.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were in Australia. In that case I have some good news for you. The Samsung 450 series just came to the land down under:
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19787/1103/
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

im also a fellow Ozzie and am quiet disappointed on how we are missing out on all the DLP tvs...
the only Samsung 3d ready tv is the Plasma found here...

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/52393 ... ready.html

thats the best price I could find also,
also a 50 inch model but a bit more in cost.

Y the heck dont they sell the DLP's here?

cheers
waiting patiently......
tru3d
One Eyed Hopeful

3D Plasmas and 3D-DLPs

Post by tru3d »

The 3D Plasmas that just came out by samsung are quite nice, but they are only 720p and this is divided in half when in 3D mode due to the stereoscopic image format. You might simply order a 1080p 3D-DLP online and have it shipped to you in Australia, I know a few people who have done this no problem. If you have a non 3D-Ready Plasma, it is actually true that certain plasma HDTVs can accept an true 100Hz signal capable of supporting the page flipping 3D stereo mode. Most of these Plasmas are european spec. you can find lists of '3D-capable' 100Hz plasmas if you look hard enough, but they constitue a small percentage of what is actually in the marketplace. You may also try running your Plasma at 85 Hz. just make sure you turn off all of the lights. You may be aware the Samsung 3D-Ready plasmas are full 120 Hz. which is flicker free even with the lights on. 100Hz will have a very slight, but generally un-noticable flicker in low light. 85Hz will have obvious flickering with any lights on in the room, below 85Hz is total head-ache land.

I suggest you try to order a 3D-DLP online, you can find them on amazon, ebay, etc. for very cheap if you know the right model numbers to look for. There are about 10 total out there. Both Tridef 3D Game Launchpad and the iz3d game drivers now have 3D-DLP and some 3D plasma support. My opinion - the 72" Samsung 1080p 3D-DLP and iz3D drivers combination are hard to beat with any current Home Theater technology. I've seen bullets fly over 10 feet out of the screen on mine!

However, if you're a desktop gamer, you could always upgrade to an Nvidia 9600Gt or better with an iz3D 22" for a reasonable price. ($200+$600)

In regards to the Hyundai monitors, I also have a 24". the viewing zones for the polarized Hyundai are a bit wider than for the Zalman 22". However, the Zalman is at a good price and has a small footprint. You will find that all of the technologies have their costs/benefits. With plasmas and DLPs you get a large picture and can sit virtually anywhere - but, your stuck with electronic shutter glasses, if you're an avvid gamer, you might prefer the comfort of the polarized LCDs instead since the glasses are much lighter and more comfortable. The 22" iz3d is at a great price, cheaper than both the zalman 22" and hyundai 22" - but the iz3D 22" does not produce as much depth - however, the image is clearer and can be seen from wider angles on the iz3d than the zalman or hyundai. It just depends upon where you want 3D games and how much you are willing to spend. Personally, for desktop I currently use the Hyundai because of SLI support over the iz3D and the Hyundai has a wider viewing zone than the zalman. I use a 3D-DLP (1080p) in my living room rather than the 3D-Plamsa which is only 720p. In the living room, my buddies and I can play madden, wearing shutter glasses and sitting where ever we want. This is almost impossible with the current LCDs.

By the way, the hyundai 32" polarized 3D-LCD display is available at a pretty reasonable price.

Keep an eye out for the new shutter glasses based 3D ready 120Hz LCDs coming soon from viewsonic, they were demo-ing them at NVision in Cali. about a month ago.
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

wow,
you seem to have every 3d display thats out there :o
Well im actually in no finacial place to upgrade yet, so i was really compaining for nothing.
I really dont mind wearing Shutter glasses at all,
and would much rather be immersed by a BIG screen while gaming.
Having a 50inch 3D DLP on ya computer desk...is that a bit much?
At the moment my current 21inch CRT is doing a good job untill new stuff gets released for cheaper

Thanks for sharing your experiences though,
Cheers
waiting patiently......
tru3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Gmaing on your CRT

Post by tru3d »

I have the 3D-DLP in the living room actually, you're still doing great on the CRT. The new iz3D driver supports shutter glasses on CRTs and has great compatibility. Your CRT has the advantage of Full resolution support in page flipping. Believe it or not, many of the LAN gaming centers in the southwest have been upgrading their CRTs to shutter glass 3D. I still personally have a shutter glass desktop running the old terminator style wired glasses like you can get online from various places and they still work great. I don't know what refresh rate and resolution you are running at, but there are tools out there that make it very easy to write a custom .inf file for your monitor driver to crank up the refresh rate beyond factory default, but be careful if you haven't tried it before. Let me know if I can help walk you through any problems you run into.
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

hey,
custom refresh rates aye mmm....
I would try if i needed it but i can run my monitor at 1600x1200x100hz
or 1024x768x150hz, its a SOLID Sony model.
My vid card is too slow (6800 ULTRA) to use IZ3Ds new Shutter output,
until they get native shutter sync support etc, i can either use Interlaced with the 1.09b2
or use Nvidias 92.24 stereo/driver combo.
riteo then,

Cheers
waiting patiently......

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”