Skyrim Headtracking Issue

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
RemyJesse
One Eyed Hopeful

Skyrim Headtracking Issue

Post by RemyJesse »

Hi Guys,

I've got Skyrim up and running with the latest Vireio and everything seems to work fine apart from the head tracking. However... the head roll works fine but I cant look around. Xbox 360 controller is disabled in the settings.

I did hook up a 360 controller earlier but in my search for answers I quickly stumbled upon other forum posts informing me this could be the problem. So I disconnected my 360 controller and reinstalled Skyrim, but still no head tracking except for the head roll. I've got Vireiro set on Oculus Rift and Oculus Track and my profiler on the default TESV.exe profile.

I've been messing around for hours now looking for answers so I guess I've reached the point where a forum post seemed legit. :?

Any clues? Anyone? Any help appreciated!
RemyJesse
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Skyrim Headtracking Issue

Post by RemyJesse »

SOLVED!

Enabling the force mouse to true in the Overall settings worked!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

This is a pseudo solution. By doing this, you are missing out on the VRBoost benefits. In the next version, we'll have an upgraded version of VRBoost profiles with better compatibility. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Neil
RemyJesse
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RemyJesse »

Good 2 know! Very much looking forward to the new version then :-)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

So no gamepad support for Skyrim? : (
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I also have tracker issues and i have not seen anyone that have same issues as me.
Up/down and roll is working, but left/right is not working, also i have some massive latency, like 500ms so its a bit hard to play : p
Also i have some shadow issues with shadows only showing in one of the eyes.
Any ideas? Just bought and installed Skyrim Legendary Edition so it should not be any mods making issues...
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. I need system specs; everything you can provide.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Here is my system spec attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Are you running in clone mode?

So your desktop (not just your game) should be in 1280X800X60Hz.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Always running in clone mode, but did not change res, so i tried that and latency seems to be a lot better but still have some bad shadow issues and no tracking on left/right. Roll and up/down still works though.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Do you have a game controller plugged in? Just to rule it out, unplug it.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I had that, but i unplugged it the first thing.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Anyone have any idea about the headtracking issue? I can live with the shadow issue, but its unplayable with half working headtracking : )
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm hoping that the next release of Vireio will feature better VRBoost profiles that work on your system. We'll try! ;)

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Thanx for the answer : )
Any kind of eta on the new release? : p
Neil

Post by Neil »

virror wrote:Thanx for the answer : )
Any kind of eta on the new release? : p

All I can say is soon. I know we are long overdue, but we are coding new features, so I don't have a firm ETA.

Regards,
Neil
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

virror wrote:I also have tracker issues and i have not seen anyone that have same issues as me.
Up/down and roll is working, but left/right is not working, also i have some massive latency, like 500ms so its a bit hard to play : p
Any ideas? Just bought and installed Skyrim Legendary Edition so it should not be any mods making issues...
To be clear, is this with mouse emulation turned on or off? (If it is on make sure that the yaw scale is set to something sensible [25]).

Regarding latency how many Frames Per Second are you achieving? (You can check this using FRAPS).

Cloned mode shouldn't be an issue - I play / test with this. Let me know on the head tracking method and I'll do a test here.
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

I get the headroll only thing when I use the skyrim memory patch (well actually skse's alpha version's implementation if it matters) and set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB to something higher than the default. I don't know if it is at all related to the OP's problem, but the symptoms are the same... I hope this can be fixed as it does make Skyrim a lot more stable.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Xerion wrote:I get the headroll only thing when I use the skyrim memory patch (well actually skse's alpha version's implementation if it matters) and set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB to something higher than the default. I don't know if it is at all related to the OP's problem, but the symptoms are the same... I hope this can be fixed as it does make Skyrim a lot more stable.
Can you send us a link to the memory patch?
So you are saying that if you don't use this VR Boost functions correctly?
If this is the case the patch may be affecting the memory pointers that Skyrim uses for headtracking.
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Actually, I just tested again, values of 768 and 896 and headtracking works fine, but going higher, 960 and 1024, only roll works. I'm using the alpha build of skse here: http://skse.silverlock.org/ with a skse.ini (in Skyrim/Data/SKSE) containing the following:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

EDIT: BTW, I didn't see anyone mentioning what version of skyrim they run and which mods (should first try with no mods of course). I'd imagine an older version and some mods could both make the pointer be off.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

baggyg wrote:
virror wrote:I also have tracker issues and i have not seen anyone that have same issues as me.
To be clear, is this with mouse emulation turned on or off? (If it is on make sure that the yaw scale is set to something sensible [25]).

Regarding latency how many Frames Per Second are you achieving? (You can check this using FRAPS).

Cloned mode shouldn't be an issue - I play / test with this. Let me know on the head tracking method and I'll do a test here.
This was with no mouse emulation, the worst lag seemed to go away when i used the same res on both monitors as Neil suggested.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This was with no mouse emulation, the worst lag seemed to go away when i used the same res on both monitors as Neil suggested.

Is it possible this is a performance issue? Here are a couple of things to check:

1. In Skyrim's game settings, are shadows higher than medium?
2. I'm wondering if you are in analysis mode in the drivers. In profiles.xml, is Skyrim's gametype "601" or "10601". If it's 10601, change it to 601. Analysis mode adds a lot of latency to games because it is doing extra stuff to (you guessed it) analyze the game.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

The main issue is still the total absence of left/right headtracking.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Are you running SKSE?

We made a recent discovery (thanks to an MTBS forum member) that SKSE has memory management features that interfere with VRBoost. Try running without SKSE to rule it out.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Vanilla Legendary Edition install since i read that mods can cause strange issues.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

virror wrote:Vanilla Legendary Edition install since i read that mods can cause strange issues.
I presume I am right in saying that Legendary edition is just Skyrim + all the DLC?
Can you firstly just confirm to me that when you switch on mouse emulation (Brassa menu -> Overall settings) that headtracking works (no controller connected please)?

I just want to make sure this is the case. If it is then the memory pointers in the Legendary edition may be unstable (or different). This could certainly be the case if the game has other tweaks (config settings) different from the original. Its a little odd that just one axis works though generally its all or nothing (apart from roll which isn't derived from a memory pointer).

I think the upshot of this thread is that there maybe more stable pointers that could be found for Skyrim. This would hopefully solve a lot of the problems (SKSE / different editions)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I will try this when i get home.
Also, will mods from the workshop also have a chance of breaking Vereio or is it only SKSE that will do this?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

virror wrote:I will try this when i get home.
Also, will mods from the workshop also have a chance of breaking Vereio or is it only SKSE that will do this?
It really depends on the Mod, but at the moment we would have to say "potentially", which is why we recommend at least starting with Vanilla and adding each mod one at a time to ensure it does not break compatibility.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”