CrystalEyes - alternative IR emitter?

chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

CrystalEyes - alternative IR emitter?

Post by chrisjarram »

Hi,

I've just picked up a pair of Stereographics CrystalEyes-3 glasses but need an emitter for them, anyone know of any that works (other than Stereographics' own one, obviously)? Just seeing if I can save a few more quid, otherwise I guess I'll need to get the SG one.

Cheers if anyone can help!

Chris J
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: CrystalEyes - alternative IR emitter?

Post by Borg_Rootan »

chrisjarram wrote:Hi,

I've just picked up a pair of Stereographics CrystalEyes-3 glasses but need an emitter for them, anyone know of any that works (other than Stereographics' own one, obviously)? Just seeing if I can save a few more quid, otherwise I guess I'll need to get the SG one.

Chris J
If you can and have E-dimensional dongle, make your own. Protocol is simple:"pulses, R="120" usec / L="60" usec to switch L/R glasses" (for CrystalEyes 2). I do it (but for I-Art wireles with diferent protocol) and save lot of money. Primitive Atmel 89C2051 microcontroller, crystal, IR diode, transistor and very simple program. Maybe I can make small "tutorial" and send compiled program in .hex file, but my english is bad.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Borg_Rootan wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:Hi,

Chris J

If you can and have E-dimensional dongle, make your own. Protocol is simple:"pulses, R="120" usec / L="60" usec to switch L/R glasses" (for CrystalEyes 2). I do it (but for I-Art wireles with diferent protocol) and save lot of money. Primitive Atmel 89C2051 microcontroller, crystal, IR diode, transistor and very simple program. Maybe I can make small "tutorial" and send compiled program in .hex file, but my english is bad.

Borg, your answer is fantastic!! TBH I wasnt expecting anyone to know this. Can I ask a couple more questions?

1) How do you know this is the correct protocol for the CrystalEyes glasses? I looked everywhere and couldnt find anything, do you have all the tech documentation on these?

2) Presumably the IR LEDS are the same for all glasses and I dont need to change these? I actually have a high power emitter unit which plugs into the eDimensional dongle also, so maybe I could create a controller for this instead?

3) Yes, if there is ANYTHING you can give in terms of a basic tutorial / compiled program (what is the program for btw?) I would be EXTREMELY grateful!

Thanks so much!

Chris J

p.s. When you say about the switching delay can you clarify something for me - the 2 LEDS on the eDIM dongle, are they exactly the same then and flash at the same time? I always assumed maybe they were on different wavelengths and this is what the glasses see to differentiate between the eyes. From the sound of what you are saying though they are both the same and the only thing that differentiates the eyes is the amount of time they are switched on for. e.g - switch on for 120us = open right eye shutter now and keep left eye shutter closed until we receive another flash of 60us. Is this correct?

Thanks again!
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Borg, your answer is fantastic!! TBH I wasnt expecting anyone to know this. Can I ask a couple more questions?

1) How do you know this is the correct protocol for the CrystalEyes glasses? I looked everywhere and couldnt find anything, do you have all the tech documentation on these?

2) Presumably the IR LEDS are the same for all glasses and I dont need to change these? I actually have a high power emitter unit which plugs into the eDimensional dongle also, so maybe I could create a controller for this instead?

3) Yes, if there is ANYTHING you can give in terms of a basic tutorial / compiled program (what is the program for btw?) I would be EXTREMELY grateful!

Thanks so much!

Chris J

p.s. When you say about the switching delay can you clarify something for me - the 2 LEDS on the eDIM dongle, are they exactly the same then and flash at the same time? I always assumed maybe they were on different wavelengths and this is what the glasses see to differentiate between the eyes. From the sound of what you are saying though they are both the same and the only thing that differentiates the eyes is the amount of time they are switched on for. e.g - switch on for 120us = open right eye shutter now and keep left eye shutter closed until we receive another flash of 60us. Is this correct?

Thanks again![/quote]

Send any e-mail to me at wraper@seznam.cz, give a litle time to me and I send more information to you (including one great actualy non exist offline saved site with many descriptions of wireles glasses protocols which I use for my I-art emitor). BTW control program is for AT89C2051 I write it in Assembler. I can write universal multiprotocol version for many of glasses (is not to dificult) and you may then make tutorial in better english for every great people on this site :) (..but I am relative bussy, this may take any time).
Last edited by Borg_Rootan on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Hi Borg!

I'e sent you an email:- thanks again, you are an absolute Diamond!!

Chris
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Wow this is a very interesting topic and maybe in some time we'll all be able to create our own (high power) emitters...
IF the led is 'only' on for some 10,000th of a second it could be 'overpowerd' without burning that fast :shock:

Or just use MORE leds to get more range :lol:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

LukePC1 wrote:Wow this is a very interesting topic and maybe in some time we'll all be able to create our own (high power) emitters...
IF the led is 'only' on for some 10,000th of a second it could be 'overpowerd' without burning that fast :shock:

Or just use MORE leds to get more range :lol:
Yes that's right, but only with Crystal eye protocol and on universal multiprotocol device then must be used another digital output with transistor for overburn mode. Good idea!
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

I feel like that guy JC Denton from Dues Ex, I always like getting lots of tech info on our gadgets.

Here is REAL D product manuals with some light tech info for the crystaleyes.

http://reald-corporate.com/scientific/p ... anuals.asp - stereograhpics page used to be in the google cache that had lots of tech info.

the US patent search also has some tech info:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=xTQoAA ... cs+emitter

You should also be able to do an FCC search and turn up some tech info.

That lenny lipton guy is on a lot of the patents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Lipton

He wrote theme song to puff the magic dragon - how strange!

I also have a crystal eyes 3 with an SGI emitter, it just sits over in the corner right now because REALD wanted like 150 bucks for an adaptor cable, can't be 5 dollars in parts - the markup is unbelievable! Still I would much rather use polarized lightweight glasses, even the crystaleyes 3 smoosh my big head and give me headache after short use from squeezing all my blood vessels too tight - ouch!

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”