Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead / Separate Head Mouse movement

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead / Separate Head Mouse movement

Post by baggyg »

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had got close to getting ARMA2 working on Perception. I see it is supported by vorpX although no eta on that. I currently play this with YEI / HMZ / Razer Hydra. Its probably one of the best VR experiences I have since there is separate head and gun movement built in. I play with the hydra controlling the gun(mouse) movement and the YEI linking through freePIE to emulate trackIR (requires trackIR fixer). That way you can turn through 360 degrees with full head tracking. Even in Mono mode on the rift this would be great (Rift sensor => OpenTrack for trackIR, Razer as mouse pointer). I cant think of any other released fully fledged games (apart from the half life 2 mod) that actually features separate head / gun movement.

P.s. And of course that would then mean DayZ!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead / Separate Head Mouse moveme

Post by CyberVillain »

Just a tip, you can usee Freetrack interface instead and skip IrFixer
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

CyberVillain wrote:Just a tip, you can usee Freetrack interface instead and skip IrFixer
I have tried this previously but didn't have too much luck. I presume I do something like:

Code: Select all

yaw = math.degrees(yei[0].yaw)
pitch = math.degrees(yei[0].pitch)
roll = math.degrees(yei[0].roll)
freetrack.yaw  = yaw
freetrack.pitch = pitch
freetrack.roll = roll
However what state do I have the freeTrack interface in? Do I just need the program open or do I have to click the start button (if the latter what do I do about the camera settings)?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Two things,
In current version of FreePIE you need the actual Freetrack software installed (not started), this is fixed in next version of FreePIE.
Freetrack uses radians so remove math.degrees
shole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shole »

i got it working with vireio by placing the .dlls in the extension\beta\ folder (non-beta crashes) and using opentrack to feed rift data as freetrack data into arma.
there's a tool to get the FoV parameters right http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21181
turn the aiming floating zone all the way up in the game settings
with some fiddling its working quite nicely
flying with choppers is a lot easier
the game is lacking head rolls so flying got a bit nauseous if i tried to roll my head at all and using it to lean around corners as a soldier was a bit weird when the horizon doesn't rotate
but the problem with this still is that the screen is unplayably low resolution
the bohemia games since ofp have required high resolution screens to be playable and for you to actually see the enemy
even close urban combat is unplayable with the current devkit
but the situational awareness and the mood of it is heightened, so this clearly will be something that will become my preferred way to play arma when a HD rift arrives.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

FreePIE now injects its own Freetrack dll so baggyg please try with FreePIE and see if it works
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

You should be able to use OpenTrack, without FreePIE or TrackIR fixer etc etc. If you just select the output mode as FreeTrack2.0 (this is also the TrackIR mode) then it should "just work".

I'll try it out later and see if this is actually the case.
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Forge »

Thanks for the instructions. After fiddling with the mouse speed settings I got something reasonably matched up. Only problem is that I am finding the lag very uncomfortable. Close to pukefest here :) . Shame because I'd really like to get this game working.
Composer for hire. Film TV and Games:
http://www.heskethmedia.com

Return to “Development / General Discussion”