SHOCT settings

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

SHOCT settings

Post by bizarrobrian »

I'm having a really difficult time getting the seperation set correctly via SHOCT...I can never get the red lines set correctly. The convergence work a little better for me, mostly because I can take the rift off and set it from my screen. I really like the calibration mechanism in TF2 and was wondering if there was a way to define my IPD in some Vireio config using the value that TF2 calculates for me (60mm)?
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: SHOCT settings

Post by LordJuanlo »

I agree, I know my IPD (59 mm) and it would be simpler to have the option to enter it
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The RED SHOCT lines don't have to be super accurate. You'll go nuts if you try to accomplish this. We are working on methods to tighten the results up further, but don't drive yourself crazy!

Do your best in setting the SHOCT lines up with each eye. Set the separation accordingly in the game (you can do this without having to wear the HMD by the way). Do the convergence adjustment. Reset the game's separation according to the SHOCT lines (because the earlier separation settings may no longer be correct after the convergence adjustment is done). FINISHED! If you find your eyes feel uncomfortable or strained, just reduce the separation levels a touch at a time. It's not necessary to have perfect precision to do this.

Regards,
Neil
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I am trying to get Skyrim to look better... When I use the calibration tool for Portal 2, or Dear Esther, i feel like the images line up much better then Skyrim. When I look at things, i see two of the same item, side by side. If I close one at a time, the image jumps back and forth. I don't really understand the second calibration, the 90 degree part, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas or reccomendations? Thanks!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thodder7 wrote:I am trying to get Skyrim to look better... When I use the calibration tool for Portal 2, or Dear Esther, i feel like the images line up much better then Skyrim. When I look at things, i see two of the same item, side by side. If I close one at a time, the image jumps back and forth. I don't really understand the second calibration, the 90 degree part, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas or reccomendations? Thanks!

Ok. Couple points.

1. In Skyrim, are you confident you set the red SHOCT lines properly? Just open one eye at a time to make sure each line is in the center of each eye (just look straight ahead and ignore the contents of the game) and then adjust the game's separation accordingly.

2. Take the HMD off. Walk as close as you can to a vertical object like the corner of a building or a table. Align the blue line in the right eye with the edge of the object. So if it's a wall, the blue line should be flush against this edge. In your left eye (or left image), look at where the object's edge is relative to the blue SHOCT line. If it's too the left, it's inside the screen. If it's in the center, it's at zero parallax or a neutral point. If it's to the right, it's negative parallax which means it's coming out of the screen or towards you. I recommend trying to get it at 0 parallax or a little bit negative. After you have done this, objects that appear in front of this object (e.g. snow, projectiles) will seem to come towards you - the incidental stuff. Do you see how it works?

Regards,
Neil
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

So I'm pushing Ctrl I to start calibration, then I use "O" and "P" to adjust my left eye, and "K" and "L" to adjust my Right eye, once I have that, I push Ctrl I again to start the Blue line config... however, I don't know how to adjust those lines?... I've looked at the Wiki, and tried "O,P,K,L" but they don't seem to be changing anything.

Sorry for the noob questions, I didn't calibrate the blue lines for any other games, and the 3d effect was great... For sKyrim I lined up the blue line on the right eye, with a post, and when I look through the left eye, the blue line was to the right of the post.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thodder7 wrote:So I'm pushing Ctrl I to start calibration, then I use "O" and "P" to adjust my left eye, and "K" and "L" to adjust my Right eye, once I have that, I push Ctrl I again to start the Blue line config... however, I don't know how to adjust those lines?... I've looked at the Wiki, and tried "O,P,K,L" but they don't seem to be changing anything.

Sorry for the noob questions, I didn't calibrate the blue lines for any other games, and the 3d effect was great... For sKyrim I lined up the blue line on the right eye, with a post, and when I look through the left eye, the blue line was to the right of the post.

Did you remember to adjust the separation (F2,F3) so that the most distant object is aligned in each of your eyes with the red SHOCT lines? That's important.

The blue line is for convergence. You aren't supposed to change the placement of the blue line. Just align the right eyed vertical line with an up-close vertical object (e.g. the corner of a wall edge). Then compare where this wall edge is on the vertical blue line in the left eye. Is it positive, negative, or zero (neutral) parallax? As you adjust the convergence, just realign the convergence line in the right eye, and you will see the placement in the left. Does it make a bit more sense now?

Regards,
Neil
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Okay! I understand now. I'm going to play around with the settings a bit, but using F2 and F3, I was able to adjust the separation until it visibly felt right! Those pictures helped with the convergence. Thanks Neil!

Return to “Development / General Discussion”